Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 GJ Wagon inner tail light removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 03:56 PM
Default Mazda 6 GJ Wagon inner tail light removal

Hi out there,
I would like to remove my inner tail lamp on the trunk door on my Mazda 6 GJ wagon. The reason is water inside the lamp, why it probberly need a need seal or has a crack in a plastic welding. The lamp it self is is not damaged and works fine. My challenge is to remove it, i have tried to remove the two nuts from the inside and the lamp is loose, but it seems that the plastic cover on the outside is blocking the removal. Does some one know if it has to be removed of if the are any clips that i cannot see? The plastic cover is marked with the red long circle.

?

Old 11-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Did you figure it out?
I'm trying to do the same.
I feel like it's the same issue, exterior trim is getting in the way of removing that light unit.

Old 02-11-2024, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas Wadiwala
Did you figure it out?
I'm trying to do the same.
I feel like it's the same issue, exterior trim is getting in the way of removing that light unit.
I'm also having this issue! I have water ingress into the inner right light cluster on a 2013 Mazda 6 estate and bought a replacement light unit from a breaker; however, I cannot remove the old unit! I feel like it may be some adhesive that's hanging on, or as you mentioned, perhaps the chrome strip running across the boot just above the lights which doesn't look easy to remove. So frustrating!

If anyone has managed to remove (video/photo would be very welcome!), then I'd really appreciate any feedback...

Old 03-22-2024, 03:54 AM
Thumbs up Found this on youtube

Originally Posted by Gisbourne
I'm also having this issue! I have water ingress into the inner right light cluster on a 2013 Mazda 6 estate and bought a replacement light unit from a breaker; however, I cannot remove the old unit! I feel like it may be some adhesive that's hanging on, or as you mentioned, perhaps the chrome strip running across the boot just above the lights which doesn't look easy to remove. So frustrating!

If anyone has managed to remove (video/photo would be very welcome!), then I'd really appreciate any feedback...
I will replace my inner left taillight on my 2014 Mazda 6 Wagon next weekend. Found this video on youtube, and my guess is that my wagon is not much different than this sedan:

Knut, Norway

Old 03-22-2024, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Knutte
I will replace my inner left taillight on my 2014 Mazda 6 Wagon next weekend. Found this video on youtube, and my guess is that my wagon is not much different than this sedan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V97GfoxaOTI

Knut, Norway
Hi Knut,

Please let me know how this goes - I haven't re-attempted it since, but I also watched the YouTube video for the saloon and I think the layout is different unfortunately. One tip is to prize the plastic cover off the side of the lamp unit and use a pair of pliers or similar to squeeze the plastic retaining lugs underneath together (think you need to be fairly delicate!) - I can't quite recall why as I don't think there are any screws behind, but think it just releases it from the housing... Good luck and any pics etc. appreciated if successful!

Regards,

Guy