Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 2014 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Default Mazda 6 2014 Won't Start

Yesterday, I had my foot on the brake pedal. I pressed the start button in the car. The car starts up but the engine won't turn over. All the lights come on on the dash. It's hard to tell what is wrong. The car has only 47,000 miles on it. My local Mazda dealer service department was closed on Saturday. I spoke with a service advisor at my old dealership who said that it was a fuel delivery issue.
It seems pretty weird that this would happen over night. Today Sunday, I am following steps to reset the security immobiliser system. Figuring that's why the car won't start. The Mazda battery is new. The key fob looks good.
From what I read this is a common problem with Mazda 6. Anyone have the same problem?

Old 08-18-2020, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel issues won't prevent the engine from turning over ( cranking) Starting problems are very rare on modern Mazda's.

Have you tried pushing the start button with the key fob, with your foot foot on the brake? ( this rules out transmitter issues with the remote / key fob)

Have you tried your spare key fob?

Do your brake lights work?

What does the little red immobilizer light on the instrument cluster do when you press the start button?

What colour is the start button when you press it, and your foot is on the brake?

Have you tried starting it in neutral?

Have you tried jump starting it?

Old 08-18-2020, 07:29 AM

Thanks for responding.Fuel issues won't prevent the engine from turning over ( cranking) Starting problems are very rare on modern Mazda's.

Have you tried pushing the start button with the key fob, with your foot foot on the brake? ( this rules out transmitter issues with the remote / key fob) NO. Do you think holding the start button down and not releasing it might help?

Have you tried your spare key fob? NO

Do your brake lights work? YES

What does the little red immobilizer light on the instrument cluster do when you press the start button? The red light no longer blinks.

What colour is the start button when you press it, and your foot is on the brake? Green

Have you tried starting it in neutral? Yes

Have you tried jump starting it? All electrical functions are working. Battery is good. The Mazda interstate battery is nearly brand new. No, we may try this tomorrow before we have it towed. The nearest dealer is 30 miles away. So I would prefer to start it up and drive it myself

It seems like the car is trying to start, but then the system senses something is wrong and shuts off. Leaving all these lights on the dash. After trying to start I also see the check engine light and power steering malfunction indicator light lit up after it fails. It's kind of frustrating and worry some that the car won't start up. What is going to fail next in this car?

Old 08-18-2020, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Put your foot on the brake, press the start button your spare remote, keep pressing and see what happens.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:49 AM

ok. Put my foot on the brake. Use spare remote. Press the start button and keep it depressed and see if it starts?
You have seen this same problem before?

Old 08-18-2020, 01:54 PM
Angry

We tried to jump start --- same result. We will have the car towed in tomorrow.Argh.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:43 PM

I jump started the car today. The car did not turn over. I am having it towed to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:22 PM

The car was fixed yesterday at the dealer. The Mass Airflow Sensor MAF sensor was defective. It was replaced. The car starts up now. It's a small part but very expensive. List price is over $200 for this item.
How could this fail? Maybe from the heat, maybe from the humidity.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Very uncommon, but not unheard of.