Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Default Help needed...

Recently bought a Mazda6 2004, love the car, my first Mazda... One problem, can anyone help. When i turn the wheel to the left, not slighty but let's say to make a uturn. There's a slight knock.. Took it to the dealer today, they checked and could not find anything, anyone have any ideas or simular problems..... Much appreciated.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Default RE: Help needed...

How many miles on your car? I ask that because it sounds symptomatic of a cv joint beginning to fail. If your car has higher-than-typical miles for its age, that's my first suspicion. Write back and tell us how many miles on your car. And when you DO get a firm diagnosis, please report back! Cheers,

David

Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 PM

The car has 74000 kms. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Well car was at dealer all day today, and they can still not find the problem....ughh[:@]

Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Do they hear the noise?Does this only happen at full steering lock? If it's loud enough to hear, you should put it up on jack stands in the front and crawl under the car. Have someone get the noise to repeat over and over (go back/forth over the point where the noise occurs)

You might be able to actually see something moving at the same time as the noise. I've found odd clunks that way before.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM

Well, 74000 kms seems a bit premature for cv joints to fail. Have that checked, but the fact that your car has reasonable miles for its age tends to NOT point to a failing cv joint.

David

Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM

That depends on the condition of the boots that cover the CV...If the boot gets damaged (many ways they can get damaged), then the grease inside the CV will get contaminated and you will have premature failure.

You want to specifically watch the steering rack (shouldn't move at all) and the tie-rod ends when you are moving the wheel back/forth. If it's clunking, something must be loose and either creates the noise against the bolt that secures the component, or it is hitting an adjacent component.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:48 PM

Well car came out of dealer today, wen't for a drive with the mecanic, and surprise surprise it did not make the noise.. but if it comes back i will take it back..i told them about the cv joint and they said it was good..

Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 PM

this might help you when you go to he dealer

TSB: 06-001/07

2003-2007 MAZDA6 - UNUSUAL NOISE FROM STEERING SHAFT WHEN TURNING STEERING WHEEL

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2003 - 2007 Mazda6

DESCRIPTION

On some vehicles, the steering shaft may make an unusual clunk noise during acceleration while the steering wheel is turned. The intermediate shaft splines in the steering column may be lacking lubrication and causing the clunk noise.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE

NOTE: Before performing this repair procedure, be sure to inform the customer that the new super grease is very effective for noise, but it may change the steering and handling feel of their vehicle. Also, the operation of the telescopic steering (if equipped) may feel slightly heavier after the repair.

1. Verify customer concern by changing steering column angle and length (telescoping only), then attempt to duplicate clunk noise.
WARNING: Do not attempt to adjust the steering column angle or length while driving the vehicle. Be sure to adjust the steering wheel only when the vehicle is stopped as you can lose control of the vehicle if you change the steering tilt or position while driving.

2. Repeat Step 1 two (2) more times using different steering column angles and lengths (telescoping only), then attempt to duplicate clunk noise.
If clunk noise is gone, proceed to Step 3.

If clunk noise is still present, do not proceed with this repair procedure. Troubleshoot other causes of noise according to related sections of the Workshop Manual.

3. For telescopic equipped vehicle: Position steering shaft to most forward position.
4. Remove two (2) push-nuts securing joint cover.
5. Remove joint cover.
6. Remove pinch-bolt securing intermediate shaft.

7. Slide shaft toward A to remove from steering gear.

8. Slide shaft toward B to remove from tube.
9. Wipe all grease off splines.

10. Apply approx. 5 cc of new super grease to splines and inside the tube.

11. Align marks and assemble tube and shaft.

12. Wipe off any extra grease.
13. Fit intermediate shaft to steering gear and tighten pinch bolt. Tightening torque: 13.8 - 19.5 ft-lbf. (18.8 – 26.5 Nm, 1.9 - 2.7 kgfm)
14. Fit joint cover and reinstall two (2) push-nuts.
15. After reassembly, operate telescopic or tilt steering as follows:
For vehicles equipped with tilt and telescopic: Operate telescopic three (3) times from front to rear. Operate tilt three (3) times from top to bottom, then return to original position.

For vehicles equipped with tilt only: Operate tilt three (3) times from top to bottom, then return to original position.

16. Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Qty.

Notes

0000-77-230E-01

Super Grease

1 oz. tube will repair 2 - 3 vehicles

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.

Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.

Warranty Type

A

Symptom Code

Damage Code

Part Number Main Cause

5555-07-008A

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:

XXC024RX / 0.4 (includes cost of grease)

© 2005 Mazda North American Operations, U.S.A.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM

That's great, i will print it out and take it to the dealer.. THANK YOU SO MUCH........
I have started to love my Mazda6 again..