Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Clutch (Replacement)???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Default Clutch (Replacement)???

If anyone could help me....I am totaly fustrated that my clutch has gone out in my 2004 Mazda 6s. It only has 23,000 miles on the car. I have been driving a 5 speed for over 10-15 years and in all of my experience this is the first. The mechanic is telling me that the clutch is worn and that I will need to replace it, along with the flywheel, drive plate and my two front tires (#@*!) I really believe that at 23,000 miles all this is too premature to happen. I had problems with it from the start, where I was having trouble getting it into gear especially during the cold mornings. I didn't take it in which may be a fault on my own, but I don't know where to turn. I don't have the funds which they are already charging me well over $1,200 plus parts and labor, I can't afford this.

I believe that their is a defect in this somewhere but the the service tech is telling me differently. Any suggestions on what I can or should do? I don't want to get screwed! [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Clutch (Replacement)???

Uh... there is a warranty. Use it. Is this a Mazda dealership you are visiting. If they are trying to make you pay for it, I'd find another dealership.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:01 PM

I am having a similar problem with my 6s - 23,169 miles and it needs a new clutch, flywheel, disc and plate. The dealer says it's not covered under warranty because it's a wear part (12 months/12,000 miles). They say it's the first one they've seen like this, but I find that hard to believe since every Mazda 6 forum I've looked at has postings of this nature. And this dealer wants to charge $1,830 to repair it. I told them I wanted to talk to the regional rep (Midwest) personally, so they supposedly have a message in to him/her. I've driven only two cars in my life, both 5-speed, the first for 9 years with no clutch replacement and the second for 7 years with one clutch replacement at 90,000 miles, so I can honestly say I'm not hard on a clutch.

I'm taking the car to an non-dealer import mechanic that we trust (we've taken our older, out of warranty cars there for years) and I'm very curious to hear what they have to say.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:32 PM

You should ask why the flywheel cannot be resurfaced and reused. Clutch disc and pressure plate are commonly changed at the same time (cost effective).
23K seems a bit premature if you are not an aggressive driver.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:53 AM

No... thats bull**** and I wouldn't take it to a third party mechanic. Find another Mazda dealer or call Mazda North American Operations in California and tell them your story. A clutch and flywheel aren't wear items at 20000 miles --> (800) 222-5500

Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 AM

Hi, I am brand new to this site, and I am an owner of a Mazda 6I sport 5-speed, and I am having the same problem with my clutch. But my car has only 15000 miles on it and most of my driving is highway miles!!! I was reading on the forum and I was wondering if anyone had any luck and with this problem. I am going to call the regional office because the dealership is charging me $1100 for the work and I am in the military. This bill hurts my pocket. I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:44 AM

you guys should get together and write up a petition to them

Old 01-19-2006, 01:28 PM

thats very strange. You shouldnt have clutch failure that early. But, unfortunately, auto manufacturers consider the clutch to be a "wear" item, so it is rarely covered under warranty. You should definitely pursue this with someone higher up the chain than your service writer/manager.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 PM

That is very soon for a clutch to fail, and if so the fly wheel, should be able to be resurfaced. A clutch is a wear item though, no matter what it wont be covered underwarranty. I recomend calling Mazda comporation and telling them the problem, if you raise enough hell and tell them you've had lots of problems with your car, they will most likely cover it. I work at a dealer ship and Ive seen major stuff happen when people complain enough. I would recomend taking it to the place you bought the vehicle though your more likely to get what you want there. Maybe that will help

Old 01-20-2006, 04:59 AM

Have your dealer call the DCSM or regional rep. The last clutch I put in an 04 6 had a little over 30k on the clock and the rep had no problem giving an OK to a warranty replace. If there is problem with that then have them access TSB 05-003/05 that addresses problems with the clutch chattering when releasing. Is still only covered for 12/12 but a problem is being recogized only to a slower degree that there is a problem with clutches on the 6

Quick Reply: Clutch (Replacement)???