Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

"evil m" @ front mazda 6 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned
Thumbs up "evil m" @ front mazda 6 2006

FOR PICS, SEE POST 3 & 4. VIDEO:

Decided to put EVIL M @ Front. I have it in the rear already. The front and rear are different. The rear you cut it off and re-attach it. You can't do this @ Front because it is held on with 4 tabs whereas the rear is only held on by 2 tabs (which aren't exposed after cutting).
As a result, you can't cut the front unless you're an expert at filling in holes and grooves. The solution: paint the part of the EVIL M Emblem black and paint the whole upper grille the same color so it blends in nicely.
REMOVAL: 2 bolts on top---1 on each side. 2 plastic clips---1 on each side. 2 more plastic clips in behind at back bottom (see pic). The bottom part of the upper grille is just snapped in to place---give it a tug in 4 places along bottom while lifting up hidden tabs on very bottom from inside and voila. Install upper bolts back in with 2 plastic clips and you can drive around while you work on your grille. The Emblem is easily removable. This is great which allows you better access to cleaning and painting. I cleaned it with degreaser and scuff pad. Then I lightly sanded it with 800 grit. I then applied lacquer thinner for final cleaning (didn't have preferred alcohol around as I drunk it all).
Taped off, painted 2 coats of Krylon Plastic flat black spray paint in a can (no primer required!), and 3 coats of Krylon shiny clearcoat (not a fan of Satin finish). This did not work as clearcoat peeled off after winter. It's better to use Plasti-Dip and no clearcoat as Plasti-Dip doesn't chip as easy.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

After much pondering, I will be painting the chrome moustache, but I will still leave a 5/8" chrome strip at the very top. If i don't like the line from taping it off i can always buy a 3/4" chrome strip from Canadian Tire to go along top. Currently the chrome dimensions are 1.5" at sides to 3" beside the emblem in middle. Getting rid of most of it should make a good result for the Evil M. Next Wed i drop off my car for exhaust manifold repair and i'll take it off then. I still have paint and clearcoat left----$0 cost, unless i have to buy chrome strip. Cost me $6 as i had to buy primer for chrome moustache.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

I painted most of the Chrome Moustache but left a stripe across the top. To paint this primer is necessary after cleaning and sanding. Waiting for car in shop before i can install.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-28-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Updated PICS on previous posts as well. Guess i'll have to change my sig pic! Just got car back today from the exhaust manifold change, so I was able to re-install upper grille and take some pics after going thru touchless car wash. VIDEO:

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-29-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Banned

Well the Krylon Plastic flat black spray paint in a can and 3 coats of Krylon shiny clearcoat didn't hold up!
Got chips and clearcoat peeled!
So I used like on other internets, Plasti-Dip with no clearcoat.
Decided also to cover behind emblem to keep maple keys out and cold out in winter time. Chrome was removed from very bottom lip as well as cut very bottom lip for more clearance as recently car was lowered @ front. Removed chrome around headlights as new headlights went in.