Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Any way to turn off engine and keep accessories ON?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Default Any way to turn off engine and keep accessories ON?

This is for a 2014 Mazda6 GT.
I've searched high and low regarding this question... And I can't seem to find any answer. Is it really possible that the designers made a car that you must completely turn off, before you can get back to accessory mode??

Many times, I'll receive a phone call while driving and wish to park the car, and turn off the engine to save gas. However, since this car has push-button start/stop, pushing the button with the engine running, turns EVERYTHING off. Not good if you're in the middle of a phone call, or want to finish listening to a song that is playing.
I've tried double-tapping the button; That does nothing but shut the car off.
I've tried long-pressing the button; Same as above.

Someone mentioned that they were able to get from 'engine running' to 'accessory' by pushing the engine start/stop button while in DRIVE. That doesn't sound like a very good solution - nor does it sound very safe. I've not tried this method due to that concern...

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!

-Ryan

Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 PM

It should keep the radio/power windows/phone on until you open a door. Check your owners manual. Some manufacturers give the customer a way to program things like that.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 PM

• Shut the engine OFF by setting the parking brake/placing the vehicle in Park (A/T), then push the START/STOP ENGINE button. • Activate Accessories (ACC) by pushing the START/STOP ENGINE button once without pushing the clutch or brake pedal. • Turn the ignition to the ON position by pushing the START/STOP ENGINE button twice without pushing the clutch or brake pedal.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Smoov82
• Shut the engine OFF by setting the parking brake/placing the vehicle in Park (A/T), then push the START/STOP ENGINE button. • Activate Accessories (ACC) by pushing the START/STOP ENGINE button once without pushing the clutch or brake pedal. • Turn the ignition to the ON position by pushing the START/STOP ENGINE button twice without pushing the clutch or brake pedal.

Hi,
Unfortunately, this doesn't really do what I'm asking; My issue comes into play after driving the car. I want to avoid shutting everything down just to turn off the engine.
I want to shut the engine OFF without shutting the radio off. That way I don't have to reconnect my phone or bluetooth devices.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by hixx
It should keep the radio/power windows/phone on until you open a door. Check your owners manual. Some manufacturers give the customer a way to program things like that.
Hixx,

Do you have a 2014 Mazda6 that behaves in the manner you describe? Everyone I've spoken to that has had experience with this vehicle, has the same issue as me. If the engine is running, pressing the start/stop engine button shuts off the engine, including all ACCESSORIES. There was nothing in the manual that suggested there was a way to program a different behavior... As a related note, I'd also like to find a way to defeat the automatic interior courtesy lights from coming on after engine shut off/open door, but only thing I can change, is how long they stay on after the door is shut...
Many times we have sleeping kids that get disturbed with the lights coming on... I just assumed this was a feature that could be controlled (or turned off with a dial switch), just like every other vehicle on the planet... sigh.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Dinan
Hi,
Unfortunately, this doesn't really do what I'm asking; My issue comes into play after driving the car. I want to avoid shutting everything down just to turn off the engine.
I want to shut the engine OFF without shutting the radio off. That way I don't have to reconnect my phone or bluetooth devices.

Thanks!
Put your car into Neutral before shutting off the engine. Electrics will stay on.

When you're done and leaving the car, make sure to press the start button again to completely shut off the car. Otherwise it will drain your battery.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by UlrichTX
Put your car into Neutral before shutting off the engine. Electrics will stay on.

When you're done and leaving the car, make sure to press the start button again to completely shut off the car. Otherwise it will drain your battery.
I'll give that a shot - thank you!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 AM

press the start button without touching any of the pedals. wait a few seconds and press it again (dont touch pedals) an orange button should appear and your ignition will be on

Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by UlrichTX

I can confirm this works on my car. Seems silly to have to do it this way, but it accomplishes what I want. Thank you!

I also realized that there is a on/door/off light switch that controls all the interior lighting (I thought it was just for those front lights) - so switching that to off before shutting off the car will prevent the courtesy lights from coming on and waking up the kids.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Dinan
I can confirm this works on my car. Seems silly to have to do it this way, but it accomplishes what I want. Thank you!
I have a 2015 mazda 3 with 6 speed manual transmission. The neutral trick doesn't work in my case. I also tried putting on the parking brake and taking feet off pedals. No joy. What a stupid thing, this push button start. My old key based cars never had this problem. That's progress! Any other thoughts?
thanks.