Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Can mazda3 iSport 4-door sedan's key system be upgraded to keyless remote system in any way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Default Can mazda3 iSport 4-door sedan's key system be upgraded to keyless remote system in any way?

Can mazda3 iSport 4-door sedan's key system be upgraded to keyless remote system in any way?

Who has experienced before?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can mazda3 iSport 4-door sedan's key system be upgraded to keyless remote system in any way?

It would be much, MUCH easier to install cruise control.
In a word, no. None of the electrical hardware is there already, so all the solenoids and cables would have to be fit and installed first. Then all the manula stuff would have to be removed and holes filled.
Shoulda'spent a little more up front and gottenwhat you wanted.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Can mazda3 iSport 4-door sedan's key system be upgraded to keyless remote system in any way?

While I agree with Virgin1 that it would be a PITA to do it is totally doable to add power locks. That being said you would be looking at an aftermarket setup as it would be way way cheaper than trying to buy all the OEM parts. The next catch is that the Mz3 uses cable driven locks and most a/m lock kits are rod driven, so basically your options are more limited. A couple of people on some other forums have done it, and aside from the amount of labor (they did it themselves) seemed pretty happy with the results. If you're doing this and you have any concept of electrical stuff I'd recommend doing it yourself as most places will charge a flat fee and then something like $100/door on top of the price of the kit.

Let me see if I can find some links for you.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

HERE's a link to a cable driven kit..... only $124, not bad.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

And here's a quote of a reply I made on mazda3forums

There's this http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W02C-RF104

rustynail installed this kit (or something really really similar) last month. He did all the install work himself and was doing a lot of trial and error so it took him a long time. Everything worked out well for him and is still working as far as I know. Here's the thread where he's talking about it, and he even did a semi-walkthrough. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...5652#msg465652

Here's also a link to a thread where Absinthe posted a bunch of links to related topics. Bear in mind that as crappy as the search function is on this site all of these came up from a search for "power locks".

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...6041#msg246041

Welcome to the forums.
Unfortunately it looks like rustynail took his pictures down, but perhaps you can get in touch with him to find them.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I know it CAN be done, but is it worth it to do it, or pay someone to do it? Is it really that big a deal for the big deal it would be to do the install?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well if you're a tinkerer and don't mind doing the work then it could definitely be worth $125.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 AM

I tried adding to my 3i, and gave up. the actuators did not fit the front doors at all. the rear was ok,, but i had to cut a chunk of the plastic out. It took so much time I gave up. didnt thing the cable pull was going to be dependable.

One guy told me he wouldnt do mazda cable pull anymore and another wanted something like 150 a door.

good luck.

I did my neon and it was a breeze. the mazda is a dif animal. I bought the base model thinking I could add power doors.