Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

accelerator sticking problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Default accelerator sticking problem

Anyone have or heard of a problem with the accelerator sticking on a Mazda 6? It only happens occasionally, but once in a while when easing off of the gas pedal the car continues to accelerate for a second or two until it finally eases off. Not sure if it is the gas pedal or what. It's a strange sensation as you expect the car to decelerate, but it delays in slowing down.

Thanks for any comments, thoughts, or ideas.[sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Default RE: accelerator sticking problem

Check to be sure you pedal is not catching on the floor mat. Have run across this a number of times. Since your 6 does not have a throttle cable but instead relies on electrical signals to determine pedal position and then opens throttle accordingly there are multiple failsafes to ensure pedal position acurately matches throttle opening. If it does not the PCM will turn on the check engine light and store codes related to the problem.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:12 AM

A.K.A. "Drive-By-Wire"

Old 11-12-2005, 05:59 AM

I'm not sure but I think I read something to that effect in one of the top reviews in magazines like Car & Driver ??

They also mentioned that one of their test drivers hated the clutch being that he couldn't get used to it and that either he had to give more pedal pressure or oterwise he stall it with not enough .

I have to admit it that it takes some getting used to more than other cluthes still , and I'm a driver . The pedal effort is very low and the grabbing is almost non (looking for the word ...) you barely can't tell where it grabs and starts pulling . I stalled it once so far after 500 klics , not bad . I had to force myself to look at the rpm at first and make it rev ever so slightly (again the gaz pedal is so sensitive) to let go the clutch at around 1300rpm but then again gauging the gaz pedal is touchy for it can rev easily to 2000rpm with me being very attentive to pressure application on the pedal ......... so I can say that these pedals are touchy , sensitive , and that it's an art to drive this car .... good ; it gives me a challenge to become an even better driver ..... if you can shift this 6 with finesse then you can drive anything afterwards ! lol

I tell you what though , me who thought my new clutch Ford Racing Heavy Duty with 10% less effort was smoother than my previous clutch in the same Cobra ..... well when I got into it again after road testing the 6 , I thought how buttery soft the 6 was ... and how buttery soft , I became in my legs in such a short period of time , when it came time to press again my FRPP clutch !!! Woe this thing IS hard (whencompared ) but never would I of noticed !!!

Ron P.