Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 Millenia S TCS/accelerator problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Default 2000 Millenia S TCS/accelerator problem...

I'm having problems with my recently purchased 2000 millenia s. The TCS & TCS OFF lights both come on randomly and I immediately loose all acceleration ( I step on the accelerator & I get 0 response) so I put it in neutral, turn the car off and back on and everything goes back to normal. It happens 2-4 times per trip at any speed. Any ideas? I’ve heard it’s the module overheating or a throttle sensor issue...Help

Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Default getting any codes?

the most common cause is a vacum leak.to narrow it down you will need to see what codes are coming up.heres a COLORED vacum diagrahm thats helped me alot.it priints out good so you can take it to the car and trace the lines.the rest of the site is very helpful also

http://milleniatech.net/vachoses/kj/

Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM

is the check engine lite on, and if so, what codes are there? the most popular is 1525/1526 and 1540. your car is going into limp home mode, which is tcs off/tcs lites come on, and it wont rev above about 2500 rpm. the transmission control unit(tcm) is separate from the main control unit(pcm). when the pcm sees certain problems, it will stop communicating with tcm, and take it out of the loop, so the system goes to a default program. the tcs off/tcs lites on the dash come on, and pcm will not allow the engine to go into the higher rpms. the check engine lite illuminates, and codes are stored. you need to first find out what codes there are, and start from there

Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM

So I took the car to a very good mechanic that I know. He checked for the error codes and got 10 of them. To summarize that EGR valve passage is clogged, the engine timing is off specifically cylinder number one, & ABS/traction control module thinks that the tires are spinning and so cuts power to the wheels. The first two things are easy to fix but the module, according to the Mazda dealer near my house, costs $1900 plus labor! What should I do? Is it possible that the first two problems are you triggering the traction control problem? How much can I sell this car for now if I'm gonna be honest with the buyer?

P0301-CYL 1 MISFIRE
P0404-EGR PERF MALFUNCTION
P0505-IDLE CONTROL MALFUNC.
P0725-ENGINE SPEED INPUT MALFUNC
P1110-IAT CIRCUIT MALFUNC
P1113
P1402-EGR RESTRICTED
P1540-INTAKE CHARGE PRESSURE
P1627-ABS/TCS NO COMMUNICATION
P16278

Last edited by salamero117; 09-09-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
t2t

Wow! It seems like people are clearing the codes on their Millenias long enough to get them through the test drive and get the car sold. Then, Bam! - the new owner is left holding the bag on a whole bunch of issues.

If your car really has that many codes / issues, you'll end up spending more to repair it than it was to purchase it. Hopefully, you have some mechanical skills and can do a portion of the work yourself. Either that, or put it back up for sale - and sell it "as-is".

Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Default codes

i would check that cylender.plug,coil pack,connectors ,etc.check the gap on the plugs,might have the wrong ones.should be .028, not .044 (for the non supercharged 2.3 litr) probably why the EGR system is out of wak because of the unburned fuel.ive had a few codes but never 10 .but somthing like a cylender not firing for awhile would account for a few of those codes im thinking.check all your electrical connections under the hood.they can get burned up on that back wall.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Cleared the codes, ran the car until it when into limp home mode 3 times and checked the codes again and got two: P0404 & P1540. While driving it this time I also realized that this only happens when I accelerate quickly and not gradually. So P1540 is:

Lysholm air bypass valve (ABV) control system malfunction

Detection Conditions
  • Actual charged-air pressure is higher than target charged-air pressure by 19.7 kPa or more
  • ECU reduces charged-air pressure but air temperature sensor (on the Lysholm compressor) does not indicate a drop to 150 degrees C or below
Possible Causes
  • ABV actuator malfunction
  • ABV vacuum control solenoid valve malfunction
  • ABV vent control solenoid valve malfunction
  • Intercooler bypass valve actuator is stuck closed
  • Intercooler bypass solenoid valve malfunction
  • MAP sensor malfunction
  • MAP sensor solenoid valve malfunction
  • ABV system related vacuum hose is restricted or leaking
  • Intake air temperature (Lysholm compressor) sensor malfunction
  • Lysholm compressor malfunction
  • ECU malfunction
So I think its the ABV valve, a vacuum hose leak or the IAT sensor...
What do you guys think?

Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Default air filter

check the filter and the inlet air tube for cracks.its the 4" accordian looking tube coming off the air filter box.the ABValve feeds off that box also.its mostly vacume problems with these cars

Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Default I got the same problem with my 1999 millenia S

I dont know if this helps buts my car only threw out 2 codes...one for a catalytic converter and an avb soleniod. Not sure if the codes or problems affect the traction control system. Now, i did read online that changing the vacuum hoses can correct this problem. I havent found out for sure as i'm about to get rid of my Millenia S which drives perfectly less this problem. My tcs goes out sometimes once a day or as many as 3-4 times in one trip. ALso the more weight (passengers) I have in the car, the more likely it is to do it. I have learned how to balance the speed with the gear ratio and how much a press on the gas to keep it from going into limp mode (TCS).

Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Question I have also had the same problem with my 02 mill s

I keep getting the limp home mode 3-4 times every trip. The TCS off and TCS light come on anything after 2500 rpm. I took it to mazda and alls they told me was the ABV Solenoid. It could also be the vacuum hose as well right? Do you think I should change all the valve and hoses or what should I do? I got no answers from Mazda!!!!! They just took my $118 for the diagnostic test and left me with no clues. I'm a girl so they look at me all crazy because I try to do the work myself and just blow me off. Just like to know how to work on my own cars and not need a man for everything... LOL! Just need a little help and to talk out the problem when I'm not exactly sure what to do.
Thank you

Last edited by MonicaJ; 05-18-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Millenia S TCS/accelerator problem...