Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Autodim Mirror/ Compass (Without Homelink)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Default Autodim Mirror/ Compass (Without Homelink)

Hey everybody,

I just picked up my 2004 Mazda6 on Tuesday. (5 Door, Black w/ Black cloth interior, Bose sound system, and Autodim Mirror /Compass) The car is absolutely perfect except for the compass. It never says any directions other than "SE", "S", or "SW". I stopped by the dealer, but the service dept. was already closed. Two of the salesman tried to help me out by telling me to "drive around in clockwise circle" and supposedly, that would help the system "get it's bearings". But, they weren't sure if I needed to hold down any of the buttons first to tell it that I'm trying to program it.

When I hold down the button on the left (that turns on and off the autodim feature), after about 3 seconds it displays "CAL" vertically next to the direction. I assumed that meant calibrate, but didn't seem to work. If I hold down the other button (that is used to turn the compass on or off) the display reads "ZONE" vertically next to a number. If I repeatedly push that button, the "zone" number changes from 1 through 15. I've tried all 15 settings, but none of them seem to help.

I've done a lot of rotations now (both clockwise and counter-clockwise) and I'm starting to get dizzy over this issue. (Literally) If anyone can tell me how to reprogram the compass, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Old 02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Autodim Mirror/ Compass (Without Homelink)

THAT MIRROR IS NOT PROGRAMABLE-RETURN TO THE DEALER FOR NEW MIRROR

Old 11-05-2005, 02:32 PM

just a quick question, which is probably stupid.... but what exactly is the home link? Does that allow you to know how to get home from a location that you traveled to or no? Because that is what is sounds like.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:34 PM

HomeLink is buttons you push on your mirror that products such as garage door opener , lights of your house , even your coffee machine will turn on by infrared if you can program these in your remote mirror .

As for the compass , I got it added (switched the auto dim/HomeLink with the auto dim /HomeLink Compass) myself and it seemed to take a while to adjust and even seemed pointing the wrong way when i left the dealer on a late friday . Over the week-end , annd in familiar surroundings it has been reliable since .

As for calibrating it , as you mention ... I have read how the owner's manual instructs and indeed you must turn at least three turns . Check your manual , and if you can't correct it ; let them do it or change it . Mine will be covered at least three years since it was installed before purchase .

Ron P.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 PM

well that seems like a very niffty little gadget there, maybe somewhere down the road i will purchase one just to show off a little more haha, but for right now a bulky garage door opener will suffice my life for now.