Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

08 Mazda 6i Sport VE - What should I upgrade First?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Default 08 Mazda 6i Sport VE - What should I upgrade First?

I am new to Mazda'a and so far love them.
I just bought an 08 Mazda 6 Sprot Value Edition (2.3), just about killed me not to get the V6, but I bought if for mileage and had to stick to my guns.

OK, since I got such a good deal on it I've go a few bucks left over,what accessories are a much and what are nice to haves?

What is the best site out ther for accessories?

thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Default RE: 08 Mazda 6i Sport VE - What should I upgrade First?

Well, first off what type of accesories are you looking for? For example are you looking for creature comforts like heated seats fog lights etc, things that make driving easier and more pleasurable. Or more so audio/visual upgrades? Looking for a nice GPS or sound system so make you 6 rumble? Or maybe performance, looking to get more bang for your buck in horse power, torque or even gas mialage. Its all out there but first narrow it down.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Let me think....
1 - a little more giddy up
2 - upgrade the speakers
3 - interior or exterior minor upgrades....like the front air dam, what does that look like on a 6? (I did add the rear spoiler)
4 - I would love to add fog lights, but have been told they are not available.

Basically anything that is affordable but look good.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

A little off-topic, but I've gotta tell u that as a 3S HB driver, I had my car to the dealer earlier this week for warranty repairs. They loaned me an 08,6i VE, 2.3L (same engine,) automatic (Ihave driven std shifts for 35 yrs now.)
The car was a nice people mover and grocery getter, and it is a nice car, but I'm glad to have my 3 back again.
From that experience I can say that comparatively speaking,
1) The steering was vague... to much boost for my tastes. Chances are there is little you could do about that.
2) The handling and ride were both great for a people mover, but I would try to upgrade that if I wuz U. Street spring, sway barsand shocks would be a big improvement on this model, imo. This would probably be the first thing I'd personally work on. If you like the ride, do a heavier rear sway bar first to improve understeer and handling.
3) The power was OK, but uninspired.
4) If you have the auto... I'm sorry for you.It would be a much more exciting car to drive w/a 5 or 6-sp.
See if someone offers a shift kit.
5) The blacked out display on the center dash stack didn't thrill me either. A minor thing. (<<< Me being picky again.)

What I liked about the car:
1) The trunk is cavernous!!! I had no reason to open it except curiosity, and I was amazed how huge that sucker is... especially when compared to the trunk on a 3 sedan. [:'(]
2) The 8 way adjustable POWER drivers seat was great. I could put it just where I wanted it to be. Since I am VERY picky about my driving position, and manual controls are limited in their adjustably, I REALLY loved that aspect of the car. I had thigh support that I cannot achieve in my 3. Maybe some shims under the front of the seat?
3) The auto down AND up windows for both drivers and passenger sude windows. I wonder if a simple switch retrofit would work on the 3 series??? I might try that if I can find a used switch panel somewhere.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sonnystables

Let me think....
1 - a little more giddy up
2 - upgrade the speakers
3 - interior or exterior minor upgrades....like the front air dam, what does that look like on a 6? (I did add the rear spoiler)
4 - I would love to add fog lights, but have been told they are not available.

Basically anything that is affordable but look good.
OK, with that off my chest, to answer your questions more directly....

1) All the std bolt-ons apply as far as I know. CAI/SRI, exhaust systems, headers (be careful here,) the Monzsta Advanced Timing Mod will work (free!!).
2) For a limited budget, I have always had good luck and sound from Pioneers.Two or three ways will do the job.They offer good bass and overall clarity while on a budget, and seem to last forever. Expect to buy 5"x7's or 6'x 8"s. (I'd go for the biggest that will fit, which should be 6x8's.)
3) Harder on a 6 series than the 3. I believe your choices are more limited. Do research.
4) The 6 series cars have built-in fogs in the headlamp assembilies, don't they? 4 seperate bulbs, one has to be for fogs, don't they?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Well, I pretty much agree with you on the stuff you said in your earlier email. Here's the full story, We have 2 2007 Ford F350's (one Dually and one Single Wheel) Diesels. Basically, both trucks cost combined $108,000 and we were spending approx. $1500 per month in Fuel and that all equals to much money . We have to have them because we have a horse farm which inculues 2 30' trailers.We have a 2008 BMW M6 that that is only getting my son about 15 mpg's go figure! So what we did iswent outand bought a Mazda6 for my wife and aSpeed3 for my son and I will take back myM6 and we are putting the trucks in the barn!!!!!
After Driving the Speed3 and the M6 I wanted to add a few things to the Mazda 6. We were looking at a mileage car thats why we bought the 4 cylinder.
Put it this way, all that above makes for one BROKE Orthopedist.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Man!! I guess so!!
I gathered from your screen name that you were involved w/horses one way or another.

One other thing about your 6: If you decide to go with aftermarket wheels @ some point, please be aware that the Mazda 6 series has a very deep offset of +60mm and not much room to move, especially if you go to an 8" wide wheel. 17" or 18"x7.5" would be your safest choice, but again, stick as closely as you can to the OE offset spec.It will be almost impossible I know, but I also know fromexperience that some AM companies offer a +50mm.I personally spent two solid years researching wheels for my 3 series (OE +52.5mm) and finally found what IMO is the best compromise, a lighter, 1/2" wider, +50mm wheel I can live with.
Pay special attention to that spec in particular when researching wheels, or the handling and wear on suspension parts, as well as overall performance of the car will suffer.