Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Is this Safe / Legal or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Default Is this Safe / Legal or Not?

Okay. Common sense tells me it is not safe, but looking for more opinions. Thoughts please?

Rear Right shock is DEAD. Took car to Mazda, they gave me a courtesy car.

They call back saying that the part will take a week, and they want the courtesy car back, saying that our 2008, 5, is safe to drive with the busted shock. (cracked and all fluid has leaked out) I am not so sure.

SO I figure I will do some research to see if it is safe and/or legal to drive.

I call Transport Canada. They don't Know. They refer me to ICBC (Insurance Corp of BC). They don't know. They refer me to the Motor Vehicle Branch - They don't answer their phone. wtf? So next I call the RCMP. (those are the police for you non-Canadians). The guy doesn't know, but redirects my call to an officer in traffic enforcement. I get his voice mail. - still no call back as of yet.

So WTF. Seems like a simple question to me, why does nobody who works for official agencies know anything?

Thoughts???

Old 09-22-2010, 01:53 PM

A defective shock absorber is not safe. In the UK it would not meet the standards for the annual MOT test and therefore would not be legal to drive. I would suggest that if you drove the car knowing you had a defect and were involved in an accident you would be in bother with the law and would probably have trouble with your insurers. Hang on to the loan car!