Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

is this legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Angry is this legal?

My Mazda 5 has been recalled twice. The onboard computer also went 'down' for 2 weeks. I live in France and bought the car new at Mazda Tours. It has caused me no end of problems since purchase over two years ago. Last week the whole system went crazy as I was doing about 50kmh. Immense noise as the acceleration went mental like an F-1 car, a huge amount of smoke everywhere especially blasting out of the exhaust, I couldn't stop at first and came to a halt with the handbrake. After taking out the keys the car continued to scream and smoke massively for another 5 minutes or so. It was a potentially very dangerous scenario, and fairly shocking as I'd had my entire family in the car only 10 minutes previously. Mazda have not been helpful to say the least, and have not even given me either an apology or a replacement car even though it was under guarantee and I have two kids to run to school in the countryside. I will not drive that car again and really expect either a full refund or a new model Mazda 5 which should have all earlier faults ironed out by now. Has anyone had problems like this, either in France or elsewhere? Is there a Trading Standards body in France like in the UK?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 AM

I'm having a difficult time understanding the connection between the on-board computer and the noise, smoke and unintended acceleration. I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way, I just cannot for the life of me figure out how the computer could make all of that happen.

As for a "full refund" or a new car in exchange for your two year old Mazda5, I'm thinking probably not, regardless of manufacturer or country of purchase. If you really won't drive it again, your best bet is to have Mazda fix it under warranty and then trade it in on something else.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 AM

I'm assuming your car is a diesel.
If so, then the problem you have is that the car is using it's own engine oil as fuel. It's doing this by sucking oil in through the air intake due either to the turbo charger failing or over filling with engine oil.
If your car has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) then it's crucial to regularly check the oil as the oil level will increase with use due to fuel passing the piston rings during the DPF regeneration. If your dipstick has an X marked on it above the max level and the oil has reached the X then unfortunately, it'll be down to you.
If the turbo has failed and you've had regular services done at the recommended interval, with the correct grade of oil, then it will be a warranty job.......it happens!
You can help preserve your turbo by always ensuring oil changes are done, the oil level is always correct and don't turn the engine off immediately you stop, especially after a fast/high revs drive. Instead let the engine idle for a few seconds to cool the turbo and let it's revs come down.

Good luck

Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Sounds like a runaway diesel to me too. Diesels will burn ANYTHING that gets into the combustion chamber. I think NickC is on the right track.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:49 PM

I am no mechanic, and have no idea why your 5 would do this (the guys talking about the diesel sound like they know their stuff).

All I have to say is, 'wow that sucks!'. good luck with everything, hope it can be fixed for you - be sure to post again when you know for sure.

My 5 is an '08, and I have had only 1 problem (related to the gas cap) - so for me, at least so far, there have been no issues - its been a great car. (at just under 20,000 kms as of yet)

Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sstlaure
Sounds like a runaway diesel to me too. Diesels will burn ANYTHING that gets into the combustion chamber. I think NickC is on the right track.
Ditto! (<< I agree.)
I'd say that's a good call, Nick.
It sounds like the turbo seal may be blown as well causing the smoke from the tailpipe. This too is not all that uncommon in turboed gas (petrol) or diesel engines and has the effect of smoking a lot.