Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Road Noise Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Default Road Noise Issues

I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda 5 Touring with 50K miles on it. It was a previous one-owner who took really good care of it. I knew from reading some posts that there were some road noise issues with the 5's. For the most part, on smooth roads it's not much of an issue; but it can be quite noisy when you drive on different surfaces.
I'm thinking about letting my local audio store do some Dynamat applications on the doors and maybe floors. Has anyone had any experience with trying to deaden the noise on the Mazda 5's?
The tires look fairly new ( Goodrich g-force sport 17's) but they may not be the quietest tire..??
Any remarks on the noise factor and remedies would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 AM

It certainly isn't loud, so the tyres may be the biggest cause. It's not quiet either, but it will depend on what you are used to. The dynamat should cure it, just get a good installer.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Default Noisy

Originally Posted by coney
It certainly isn't loud, so the tyres may be the biggest cause. It's not quiet either, but it will depend on what you are used to. The dynamat should cure it, just get a good installer.
Thanks Coney for your reply. I'm on the road so much (40K+ miles a year) that it's important to be able to talk to my clients ( I own a airport shuttle service) without having to shout when the pavement changes.
What tires would you recommend?
Have you used the Dynamat or know someone who has?
Thanks for your input....

Old 09-13-2010, 04:10 AM

I wouldn't know which tyres to recomend. Usually michelin are quieter. I am using Falkens, and I would say they are about the same level as the standard tyres.

I have used Dynamat, but not in any great install. I had a bit around the door panels. I know someone who had it installed as part of a major show stereo install and from that I would thoroughly recomended it. It was wisper quiet inside, and you could hardly hear the stereo oputside, even though the back window was shaking and the numberplate was cracking. It improved the sound quality as well.
It's the reason most people use it, but you need the bulkhead properly insulated, as it's where the bulk of the noise will be from.