Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Front end noise or road noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Default Front end noise or road noise

I have an 06 and I'm not sure if it is me or the car. Dealer replaced a/c pulley under warranty and said that was the problem but I still hear loud whining/howling at all speeds. I'm bringing it back to dealer service next week. Anyone experiencing this annoying noise? BTW, mine has 34k miles.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Default RE: Front end noise or road noise

Try rotating the tires and see if the noise changes.

If you haven't regularly rotated your tires, this could very well be the noise. (rear tires feather on the inside edge due to designed negative camber for superior vehicle handling.)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM

For the past two weeks, I have had a loud roar coming from the front end.
I imediately thought it was a wheel bearing going out.
I could feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel.
I took it to the dealer last week, and they said it was a wheel bearing.
Still under warranty, they replaced both.
The noise continued, so today I brought it back to the dealer.
After the tech drove it, he said it was the tires.
I bought this 06 hatchback last may, and at that time, the dealer put new tires on it.
Never a peep out of these tires, front or rear.
I told the dealer today that I didn't feel it was the tires because the roar was only coming from the front of the vehicle.
They said I should replace the tires.
These tires have not even begun to show any wear yet, so I just can't see how they are causing the noise.
Well I left the dealership, and thought to myself on the way home, "I"m gonna try something when I get home".
If indeed it were these tires, I had an easy way to find out.
Once home, I jacked up the front,just high enough to get the tires off the ground,placed sturdy stands under the vehicle, then started it up, and put it in gear.
The noise was non-existant.
Quiet as all hell, and no vibration in the steering wheel.
Once I was finished, I road tested it again, and the noise was loud as it has been for the last couple of weeks.
The dealer was right, the noise and vibration was from the tires.
I had heard a week of so ago that the tires could be causing the noise, but I had made up my mind it was a wheel bearing.
Well, new tires are in my future(about three weeks) and I will post the results once they are installed.
These tires I have now are B.F. Goodrich, and you just know they won't be replaced with B.F. Goodrich ever again.
Bob.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Bob: what model of BFGs are on your car right now and what speed rating? on my stock wheels, i am on the second set of V-rated BFG traction t/a and i have no complaints with them what-so-ever. i use them in the winter and in the early spring to to autocross when it's too cold yet for the summer tires. i feel they offer a good blend of performance (especially in dry conditions) and comfort, good treadwear rating, and minimal road noise.

what are your plans for the next set of tires?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Lupae3s

Bob: what model of BFGs are on your car right now and what speed rating? on my stock wheels, i am on the second set of V-rated BFG traction t/a and i have no complaints with them what-so-ever. i use them in the winter and in the early spring to to autocross when it's too cold yet for the summer tires. i feel they offer a good blend of performance (especially in dry conditions) and comfort, good treadwear rating, and minimal road noise.

what are your plans for the next set of tires?
Ther tires are TA/ KDW
They are v rated.
I am reading some very good reviews on Yohohama YK520 and "S" drive tires.
I will be getting one of these models, but where they both have great reviews, and are priced about the same, I guess it wouldn't matter which one, although most say the "S" drive tires are very quiet,and that, above all is the thing I want most in a tire.
Bob.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 PM

I had good luck with Toyo Proxes FZ4's. Quiet and lasted ~40,000 miles with proper rotation. (Decent in the snow as well.)