Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Rain Sensing Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Default Rain Sensing Wipers?

I have to get my windscreen replaced, and need to know whether the car has rain sensing wipers. I didn't buy it from new, how do i check please? I've tried turning on the ignition, leaving wiper setting in off and pouring water around the rear-view mirror part of windscreen, nothing happens. On intermittent, i wouldn't expect auto wipers to make a difference anyway. There is no other stalk option that looks obvious.

Help!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi Chalky,

On my 5 Sport Nav Diesel, the auto wipers are activated by pushing the wiper stalk down one to intermittent, and there is a collar where the intermittent wiper speed can be adjusted. On this collar ranging from fast to slow there is "AUTO" in the middle setting. Once both actions are made then the rain sensing part comes into play.

If you look at the windscreen by the rear view mirror there is a blackish/purplish diode visible. If there is neither the AUTO on the wiper stalk and no diode then it's likely that your car doesn't have it.

In my 2009 Mazda 5 brochure it only lists the Sport and Sport Nav as having rain sensing wipers as standard.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM

On my 2007 Furano, you only have to move the stalk down one position to activate the auto wipers. The collar adjusts the sensitivity of the auto system. I think the auto wiper option also includes auto headlights in the same sensor behind the mirror so if you have auto headlights (it says auto on the stalk), you may have the wipers as well.