Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 Front end Whrrring sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Default Mazda 5 Front end Whrrring sound

Hi I am new here and just recently purchased a 2006 Mazda 5 GT. I have been hearing a whrring or humming noise from the right side of the car. I think it is the front end but it is deceiving and could be from the back. It is noticeable almost all the time however quite loud between 40km/hr and 80km/hr. At first I thought tire noise but based on the volume I am starting to doubt that. I am leaning towards to wheel bearings. Does anyone have problems with this? Is this a common problem? Or do you think I am barking up the wrong tree that it could be the CV boots/axles, transmission? Please help. I love my new (used) 5 as it fits our family perfect and I don't want this issue to become a major thing. Please help. Thanks

Last edited by richs; 09-30-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM

Is the sound depending on speed only?
Have you rotated the tires to see if it makes a difference?
Are the brakes o.k. or dragging?

Jack up the front of the car and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and try to wiggle the wheel. There should be no play. If there is play the wheel bearing would be a prime suspect.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM

I've heard many people complaining about this issue. Especially on Mazda 5's from 2005-2008. It wasn't a problem "across the board" so to speak. However, it did affect a lot of vehicles made during those years among many other problems. I happen to own a 2010 5 Touring and haven't experienced what your going through and find it to be THE BEST vehicle i have ever owned. I'm actually glad i got the 2010 model because that was the year they added traction & stability control which prior year models did not have. Plus, i'm not a huge fan of the "nagare design" on the newly revised 2012 5's. One thing i feel that they should have kept on the 2010 model was the side body moldings and turn signal indicators. Or at least change the styling and integrate them into the side mirrors as many other car manufacturers are doing these days. I believe the European Premacys which is basically a 5 under a different badge do get roof rails, turn signals in the mirrors, and body moldings. I don't know why they get it and we don't here in the states...? It's probably because they sell FAR FAR better overseas and in Canada then they do here. There is virtually no marketing for this vehicle here in the states. It pretty much sells itself which is unfortunate because i feel like i stumbled on a "hidden gem" and get compliments left and right on my vehicle.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Is the sound depending on speed only?
Have you rotated the tires to see if it makes a difference?
Are the brakes o.k. or dragging?

Jack up the front of the car and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and try to wiggle the wheel. There should be no play. If there is play the wheel bearing would be a prime suspect.

I have rotated the tires and still hear the noise. I never thought of the brakes dragging. There is at least 1/2 the pad still on all brakes. If they are dragging what is the fix? Do you just loosen off the brakes and then re-bleed them or am I looking at needing new pads? I will jack it up tonight and wiggle the tires. Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Update on my whrring noise. I jacked up the car and wiggled the front tires. I can hear a slight knocking on both front tires when I wiggle them. I think there is play in the steering rack. Could this also be causing my whrring noise while driving? I am guessing a steering rack won't be cheap to fix!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Did you wiggle side to side then top and bottom?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Yes when I wiggle top to bottom - no movement. Side to side I hear the clunking noise. I don't think it is the steering but slight movement in the axles shafts and it's connection to the transmission. I do not hearing any clunks when I am driving. I now think the whirring noise is from the rear brake dragging.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM

It can be hard to figure out where a noise is coming from. Sometimes it helps to open the windows and roll along a concrete wall which sends the echo into the car.

I suggest jacking up the car onto jack stands put it in neutral and release the hand brake. Then go around and spin every wheel. obviously the front wheels will not spin freely.