Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Leak in hatch of Mazda 5 2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 AM
Default Leak in hatch on Mazda 5 2006

My Mazda 5 2006 is leaking through the hatch. The water is coming through the area I have marked in the picture. When I open the hatch after a rainy day, it drips into the trunk. The previous owner tried taking the glass out and putting a sealant around it, right before selling it to me, but that did not help, evidently. Any ideas? I do not have a lot of knowledge or experience with cars.

There's not much water in these photos, but there can be a lot.

Last edited by Verkland; 10-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:46 AM

I took out the panel behind the brake light now, to check if I could locate the leak. Take a look at the photos. It's easy to see the effects of the moisture. But the black stuff around the plug, is that sealant? It seems like it's not covering the plug properly at the top of the photo.

​​​​​​​

Old 10-27-2018, 10:24 AM

I have almost the same issue. Mine leaks between the top of the glass and interior plastic. I tried silicone around the bolt and plug holes for the center brake light, it did not help. My next thing will be the two flexible tubes that go from the body to the lift gate. It appears that to take the interior plastic off you have to take the whole lift gate off first. My biggest fear is the lift gate is cracked around the hinges.

Philip

Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Default Water Rear Hatch

When looking at the water in my Mazda 5 I noticed when I open the rear hatch to look for the leak again by the hinges water was running out I looked at the rear seal which seals on the plastic piece below the hinge point the plastic piece runs continuously up under the hinges past or above the rear hatch molding I'm assuming the water is leaking between the plastic inner and the rear painted part of the tailgate. As water entering in this area is above the hatch seal and not protected by that seal there seems to be a long narrow edge where the plastic piece meets The painted part of the hatch that could a potential area where leaking might occur. I'll keep you posted I'll be addressing it in the next few weeks it's going to require removing the hatch and the entire plastic inner panel off the hatch. I have read the other two posts I have had similar water intrusion in those areas I believe water running behind the plastic trim could be potentially misleading and possibly is making it look like leaky rear hatch window seal.

Last edited by Johnkayon; 02-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Johnkayon
I'll keep you posted I'll be addressing it in the next few weeks it's going to require removing the hatch and the entire plastic inner panel off the hatch. I have read the other two posts I have had similar water intrusion in those areas I believe water running behind the plastic trim could be potentially misleading and possibly is making it look like leaky rear hatch window seal.
Excellent. Please post photos of the process. I have not tried to fix the leak in my car yet.

Last edited by Verkland; 02-11-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Default Tape test

I think putting a piece of masking/duct tape over the gap between the plastic inner trim piece and the rear hatch along the area where the two materials join right on top that's not going to stay on for too long and be difficult to remove lol maybe during a rain will eliminate the back glass and third brake light theories along with top rubber seal and the two wiring boots and let us know if it's leaking from that top area as I discussed in my previous comment

Last edited by Johnkayon; 02-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 PM
Default Tape test

I looks like the leak is coming in through the seam where the interior trim meets the exterior hatch between the main body and rear hatch. No water on a rainy 4 hr drive .

Old 03-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Default Hatch leak Mazda 5

Mine turned out to be a missing rubber bushing between the rear wiper shaft and the rear windshield where water was getting in. Auto Zone has a set of generic rubber bushings for $4, the largest one in the pack is the perfect size.

Missing gasket, allowing water in.

Repaired with rubber gasket (grommet)

Last edited by Walter Campbell; 03-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Default Hatch leak update

I was washing my car the other day and I had the heater running inside the car I noticed bubbling coming out around the rear glass. So that throws my earlier theory out of the water about the leak occurring between the plastic trim piece in the actual rear hatch but I do think I still have some leaking there because when I did the tape test there was quite a bit less water.