Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Water leak into the hatch and driver floor board area in my daughters 2005 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Default Water leak into the hatch and driver floor board area in my daughters 2005 tribute

My daughter called from college -- 10 hours away panicked that the front floor board of her tribute was soaking wet. We immediately thought it was the heater, but after researching it, and coming to the conclusion that it is water and not coolant, the heater was ruled out. This afternoon, she called and said that the water is not just in the driver and passenger floor, but the floor of the hatch is very wet. I don't know of anything that would leak water in the back of the vehicle. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

Sunroof?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

That was my first thought as well.
Factory sunroofs have channels and drains that take away the water that will inevitably enter between the roof of the vehicle and the moveable part of the sunroof. There are usually four drain, LF/RF/LR/RR, and if any of them become clogged, the water will back up into the vehicle.
Now you have not verified the car has a 'roof,' but that would be the first place to look.
Oh, and BTW, the easiest way to clear these is using compressed air, on a low setting. Too much pressure could blow the drain hoses completely off, and you wouldn't want that to happen.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Pull out the floor carpet & boot carpet. Get someone to crawl around inside the car while someone hoses the car down and look for leaks.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 AM

+1 ^^^

Prime areas: door and hatch rubber. Gaps around the tail lights. Window surrounds.
If there is a roof rack or a spoiler check the mounting holes and hardware.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:17 AM

The Tribute does have a sunroof.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Thank you so much. The Tribute does have a sunroof. I wish I knew more about cars, but I am so grateful for your input. It makes perfect sense.

Last edited by OLIVAR; 03-02-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by virgin1

Factory sunroofs have channels and drains that take away the water that will inevitably enter between the roof of the vehicle and the moveable part of the sunroof. There are usually four drain, LF/RF/LR/RR, and if any of them become clogged, the water will back up into the vehicle.
Another good reason never to buy a useless sunroof! They are an extra unecessary cost.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Another good reason never to buy a useless sunroof! They are an extra unnecessary cost.
Using that logic, the same could be said about the HVAC system of even windows that open.
I miss not having a sunroof in my Mazda. The one in my Golf was open nearly every time I drove the car, winter or summer.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by virgin1
Using that logic, the same could be said about the HVAC system of even windows that open.
I miss not having a sunroof in my Mazda. The one in my Golf was open nearly every time I drove the car, winter or summer.
Ever forget to close it? Then have it rain, or snow? BLAH! Sometimes I'm lucky to lock the doors let alone remember to close sunroof!

Quick Reply: Water leak into the hatch and driver floor board area in my daughters 2005 tribute