Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

6 hatch vs 3 hatch - any recomendations for which to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Default 6 hatch vs 3 hatch - any recomendations for which to get?

Would really appreciate some help from actual enthusiasts.

Looking at getting a good used Mazda and I like them both.

Driven an 07 of each, both manual. 3 - 2.3L hatch ... 6 - 3L hatch

I realize the 6 costs a bit more but its not significantly more, is it much more car for the money?

The 3 just seemed more peppy and fun to drive, it wasn't night and day but it was noticable. The 3.0L in the 6 seemed slow to respond but I do a bit of highway driving that the V6 would shine there. Are there certain things to look for in specific models (i.e. better suspension in X year) that the used car sales guys always seem clueless about and say they are all the same.

Is there a magic year (possibly when model was refreshed in 06ish maybe?) of each that is best value/reliability/for the money?

The 6's are also much easier to find with leather which is a nice plus. Also not terribly impressed with Mazdas fuel economy, the 3.0 has to be one of the worst in class.

Any input on helping me make this decision is much appreciated.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Love my 6 wagon! Very roomy and comfy. I have to agree, the motor is slow(er) to respond, but when it does, it spools up and GOES! I have an automatic, so mine might be different that the 5-speed. Fuel economy isn't the greatest, but not that bad. I had to weigh size and gear-hauling ability against fuel economy and the 6 won out. I'm a big guy and I also drag around alot of gear during hunting season. No way would I get it all in a 3! Plus, I like the leather package and heated seats of the 6. For me it was a no brainer... Hope this helps!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 PM

By hatch, do you mean this?

or this?

As far as differences in reliability go, post facelift (06+) they are about the same as far as I know. 05 and previous have had some issues with clogging precats leading to major problems in higher mileage cars, but that is not as common as the net may leave you to believe. As for personal experience, I've had a 6 3.0L hatch (the type in the 1st picture) for 4 years now, put 79K miles on it in that time, been autocrossing it for 3.5 of those years and never had a major problem with it. Worst things I've had go wrong were a broken endlink (directly associated with the larger swaybars and aggressive driving conditions the car is subjected to) and a torn rear motor mount (due once again to aggressive driving conditions) both were cheap, easy and quick to fix, and due entirely to my extra curricular activities rather than any real design flaw. I've loved this car from the second I drove it off the lot and have never had any regrets about buying this car. It's fun to drive, will haul a ton of stuff when the need arises (like a kitchen table, chairs, propane grill and tank) and has been totally reliable. As for economy, yeah there are better out there, but I have gotten as high as 29mpg on road trips (and I'm not exactly light on the throttle) so it's also not THAT bad either.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM

that's what I wanted to know. the 6 is one of the few cars that defines between hatch and (sorry rich) station wagon. I would prefer the 6 hatch out of the three choices, but that is just me. I am at that stage where I would spend a little more on something a little more comfortable and practical. it comes down to preference. the 3 wagon or the 6 hatch are the most practical for me given my family and the amount of local traveling that we do together. the 6 wagon is a little too grown up for me.

if you need the extra room and could use the extra power, go with the 6 hatch. if you don't need the v6 power but could use space, the 3 wagon is the way to go.