Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Custom (low budget) Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Default Custom (low budget) Homelink

I bought a used 2008 Mazda 5 ES (that's kind of a GT minus leather here in Puerto Rico) recently and one of the things I missed from my previous car was the Homelink transmitter. I visited a local dealer and checked the web in order to find a suitable alternative and found the OEM Homelink rearview mirrors but the price always exceeded $250 plus shipping and taxes, kind of pricey in my opinion since I didn't need a compass and didnt think the auto-dimming feature works as well as flipping the little tab behind the mirror. Then I found various forums and saw that a lot of people were installing used homelink transmitters bought via Ebay and that the installation was very simple and straightforward, just connecting the positive and the ground cable to a 12v source, usually the overhead light assembly. I then bought the used transmitter for $30.00 (I bought the more expensive one with rolling codes) and decided to try. And... Voila' in less than 30 minutes I had a homelink transmitter in my car. No more fumbling with remote controls inside the car.
I don't have pic's of the installation process but I'm including 2 to show you how it looks. Imo it looks great, doesn't look out of place and it's much cheaper and easier to install than the rearview mirror. The only thing I was a little affraid of was the small cut I had to do in the headliner but thanks god, I didn't ruined anything.
This is the link I used as reference for my installation. It has pics of the installation process:
http://www.newscionxb.com/135-do-you...-homelink.html

Attached Thumbnails Custom (low budget) Homelink-tn.jpg   Custom (low budget) Homelink-tn2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Default Homelink

Bought a used Homelink on eBay for my 2009 Mazda5. Installation was pretty simple as far as placement and cutting in to the headliner.

However, I am having some trouble getting the thing wired up. I've located the live power wire in the map light overhead, and tapped into it. The other wire (ground) is the mystery. I cannot seem to find the correct wire. Whatever I try, there is no power getting to the unit.

Any insights?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Default Found it!

Never mind! I found the solution.

It's the LITTLE red wire coming into the map light unit from the roof for the power, and the LITTLE blue wire for the ground.

Works like a charm. Had it programmed in 5 minutes.