Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

On a budget, 2006 AWD v6.. Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Default On a budget, 2006 AWD v6.. Reliable?

Hi folks, newbie to the forum.
We're trying to find an economical vehicle that will last us a few years without much repair. I maintain my vehicles well, but don't like to do unnecessary repairs that cost a few hundred dollars every 6 months.

Are the Tributes (Ford Escapes) reliable vehicles in this year and V6 engine? We've been looking closely at Highlanders and Lexus RX, but just can't justify the cost when we can get a newer model year Tribute for $thousands less.

I know its a general question, but anything to look out for in 2006? Thanks for the help folks.
AK

Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Default 2006 Tribute

I purchased a 2006 2 wheel drive last month and there are things that you may need to know.
1. Road noise is quite high.
2. I just got back from PEI and I averaged 17.23 miles/gallon-not good.
3. The dealer told me the 2wd is better on gas than the awd.
However everything else worked fine. My nephew has a 2005 Tribute and he likes it fine. That is why I chose that model as I have driven his a number of times and was impressed with it. The 6 cyl is a strong engine as I had the same engine in a 2002 Ford Windstar and it gave me no trouble at all and I racked up a lot of miles on it pulling a trailer to boot. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Hi Moof -

I have a 2004 with 91,000 miles on it and have no issues whatsoever...except for a leaky headlight lens and sway bar links...both covered under warranty years ago. My mileage is better than lonedog's as I often get 22-23 mpg, more than that on trips. Mine is a V6 4x4. If you can find a 2004 model, I would recommend that one...here's why: 1.) it is the last year they used a steering column mounted shifter, leaving a lot more storage space between the seats as compared to the 2005-present models which use a floor shifter. 2.) It is the last year that Mazda/Ford mounted the spare tire INSIDE the vehicle. This prevents the rusting and corrosion that happens on spare tires mounted underneath the vehicle, often making the spare tire unusable if left unmaintained for years. 3.) According to Consumer Reports, it is the Tribute's most reliable model years. Mine is a testament to that.

Any year Tribute is going to be a reliable as its competitors, though. They have held up well over the years, as have their cousins, the Escape. Mine still shows no rust and I live in an area with heavy snowfall in the winter! Good luck!