Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

1.8 TS Cold Motorway + Judder Set Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Default 1.8 TS Cold Motorway + Judder Set Off

Evening All,

Just a little bit of info on me. I have just (literally this morning) bought a Mazda5 1.8 TS (1 owner, looks very well looked after). We also have a Mazda Tribute 3.0 for 3 years and very pleased with it (even though we recently broke down and had to have the fuel pump replaced)

I am new to this forum and I am hoping you can help me.

I didn't notice this when we were testing it, but I have took it on to the motorway and the engine was originally running on middle in the temperature gauge, but soon it drop to about 1/4 and when heater is turned on, it went even further down. I am suspecting thermostat - or could it be anything else?

The car also seem to judder when set off (manual) when engine is warm, seems fine when cold - is this something to do with EGR valve or does the clutch need replacing (when clutch is depressed, it makes a creaking / chirping noise - sounds like linkage - possibly release bearing - does that make clutch judder)?

Otherwise, I am very pleased with the car so far, steering seems very precise (much more so than I expected) and the engine drives well.

Grateful for your help! It's a 2007 (done around 60k miles) if that helps...

Many Thanks!

Last edited by 9000se; 12-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Could someone please help me?

Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Welcome to the forum!
I think you are on the right track with the thermostat. It doesn't close anymore.

The shudder ("judder" for you brits) could be a bad trow out bearing ("release bearing" for you brits). You say there is a noise when you push the pedal. Does the noise persist when you keep the pedal pushed all the way down? That's almost certainly a worn throw out bearing. Replace the entire clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced. After all they have to take the gearbox out anyway to get to the throw out bearing.

Cheers

Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 AM

Thanks tanprotege,

I will get the thermostat look at. I normally drive on B-road (narrow country lane) 20 miles to work and the temperature is just about right, but on motorway, it is quite close to the C mark (1/4 way down)...

Re. the second point. When I pull away in second, there is less issue. Also when I raise the rev and release clean on first gear, it's also fine. I think it is riding the original clutch. The previous owner mainly traveled short distances.

The creaking noise is when I move my leg on the clutch paddle (some sort of linkage?). No other noise I can hear - no banging / clinging...

I hope this is not dual mass flywheel...

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 9000se
Thanks tanprotege,

I will get the thermostat look at. I normally drive on B-road (narrow country lane) 20 miles to work and the temperature is just about right, but on motorway, it is quite close to the C mark (1/4 way down)...

Re. the second point. When I pull away in second, there is less issue. Also when I raise the rev and release clean on first gear, it's also fine. I think it is riding the original clutch. The previous owner mainly traveled short distances.

The creaking noise is when I move my leg on the clutch paddle (some sort of linkage?). No other noise I can hear - no banging / clinging...

I hope this is not dual mass flywheel...
"The creaking noise is when I move my leg on the clutch paddle (some sort of linkage?). No other noise I can hear - no banging / clinging..."
Exactly! The pedal is hanging on a pivot point and pushes against the piston of the master cylinder. A little lubrication on these moving parts should quiet it down. I assume this is a hydraulic clutch. If it were a cable operated clutch then the whole cable could use some lubrication.

I don't think yo need a new clutch bearing. I don't see any reason to pull the gearbox.

Last edited by tanprotege; 12-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanks, I m now in a motorway truck stop. I have been stick on stop start for the best part of 2 hrs and now it sounds like the engine has a starter noise when at 2k rev. I will nurse back home, any idea?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Hi there,

Just an update. Have taken it to the local clutch workshop. Clutch is engaging correctly - still got meat on it.

However, the judder is most likely caused by the springs going. My car has a single mass flywheel (confirmed by 2 Mazda dealer) which is a good thing.

Also getting the thermostat done at the same time. Should be great!

Thanks for your help.