Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
FRH
Default Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?

I'm a newbie to this forum and also to Mazda - or possibly so. I'm considering the 2014 Mazda 6, but the historical issue of rust lingers. The web is littered with sad reports from owners of various models and years - including the 6. I really like the new Grand Touring trim/style, but I don't think I can justify the outlay of a fun car whose predecessors did not hold up very well to the environment. I'm struggling to find a credible source showing what Mazda has done to retard corrosion in its new cars. I imagine things could well be different now, given the changed relationship with Ford, the move of mfg to Japan, possibly different steel, techniques. Anyone have reports to read or info to offer?

To appreciate my personal point of comparison, our '04 Accord (110K miles in the northeast) still has no visible body rust, and we are not **** about washing/rinsing.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned

My 2006 Mazda 6 is showing signs of rust around rear fender well inside lip close to tire. I have rustproofing/spraying and will visit him this week.
The electronic rust proofing is a total waste of money. Those things use to get mounted with screws but the screws rusted so now they use double sided tape!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM

FRH: I casually observed that Mazda's rust protection leaves something to desire. If you like Mazda otherwise consider getting additional rust protection before the first winter hits.
This one kind of makes sense to me:Krown Rust Control| Rustproofing and Protection for Cars, Trucks, Vans
I have no idea how much it would be to do a car.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
FRH

I'm fine with preventive measures, and perhaps the rustproofing is effective in retarding corrosion that starts on the backside of panels. My experience however reveals that rust is frequently associated with an adhesion failure, either of the electroplating or of the applied coatings. I'm curious to know whether, since pulling back to Japan, there is word that Mazda has improved steel quality, electroplating methods, exterior coating formulas and application methods. Any info out that on that sort of thing?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 AM

I have no such info. If you find out something definitive, let us know.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

The guy said for me to phone 1 800 and forward info and my yearly inspection sheets to make a claim for the attached pics of my left rear wheel in front of wheel.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-17-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

I am finally making progress. Have to get 3 estimates, but still not known if accepted because the idiot has done nothing for 2 weeks, until yesterday.
1 estimate: $1,626.37 to repair driver side rear wheel. They will put in a patch panel from a Mazda 3 sedan (Mazda 6 unavailable and no longer in existance). Mazda 3's are not any better. If the place that did the rust proofing knew this would happen, why didn't he suggest something years ago!
Apparently there are 2 panels fused together and rust is between them. The other side will happen within a year or 2.

2 more places this afternoon, and back to rust guy!

Just took a few more pics, a couple really close, attached:

Attached Thumbnails Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?-driverrear.jpg   Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?-hole1.jpg   Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?-hole2.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-25-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned

2nd Quote: $1,900 ridiculous
3rd Quote: $900 and he can get a wheel well patch for the Mazda 6! Must be an aftermarket thing.

Handed in all my 3 quotes to the rustproofing place as well as new pics and now have to play the waiting game!

[

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-28-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

Update: Apparently the big company did not get the info fax sheets from the local branch.
They have been re-sent. Waiting again!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Apparently we are good to go, but i need confirmation from the Body Shop. The body shop where i got a quote from was apparently informed from head office. Being it is late Friday afternoon before the long weekend, i'll wait til Tuesday to contact body shop, before i start jumping up and down.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-17-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Predicted corrosion rate unchanged for Mazda 6?