Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Squeaking noise from front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Angry Squeaking noise from front brakes

Hello there. I am driving a 2006 Mazda 3, GT, 2.3L, 4 door sedan.

I'd like you to hear the squeak that my brakes on the front drivers side are making:

I have changed both the left and right front rotors and brake pads over the past 3 years without being able to solve the problem. My service techs at the Mazda Dealership tell me that it is probably a bad rotor, my mechanic brother tells me it is probably a bad rotor. But am I getting a bad rotor twice in a row?

Has anyone else had this? Been able to solve it?
Any guesses as to what might be causing this squeak?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Are your break pads wearing unevenly? If so its either a warped rotor or one of your slide pins maybe have not been lubricated and one of them may be stuck causing the break pad to sit uneven against the rotor. Check your dust shield as well, sometimes they can bet bent and it could be slightly touching the rotor. If all those check out ok, maybe its your break piston?

Old 09-10-2018, 11:55 AM

I have your same car and I had the exact problem. I replaced the rotors twice, the pads three times, I tired caliper glue, I tried cleaning up the guide pins, I even changed the spring pins to no avail. Only after I personally rebuilt the calipers did it stop. When I mean rebuilt I mean rebuilt:

1. Removed the entire caliper.
2. Remove all guide pins and slides, buffed them smooth as glass and replaced all seals (many brake pad kits come with the boots for the pins and a new spring pin).
3. Remove the piston, buff it smooth (2000 grit), remove the seals and clean out anything in the caliper area. (I found substantial corrosion from previous lazy owner)
4. Put all new parts in and fully bleed all 4.

The car brakes better than new and no noise at all. All it cost me was $5 and an afternoon of work. $5!! How is that possible? See below...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...epair+kit,1720

Yes, people still rebuild their calipers, it takes time, attention to detail, and patience.

Good luck
RGAZ

Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM

If rebuilding (or replacing) the calipers still doesn't solve the issue, use the old-school fix I learned from my wrenching mentor back in the 1970s; slap a strip of high-quality 3M Duct Tape on the back side of each pad. Problem solved.