Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

noise from front area when press brakes in Drive gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Default noise from front area when press brakes in Drive gear

Hi

i have mazda protege 97 DX A/T 140K miles.(ya i know pretty old for 2011 )

But anyhow, the problem is this kind a grinding noise with little shaking when i press brakes in drive gears. it doesnt happen in neutral or parking gears.

that noise comes from the front and sitting inside i can c car is shaking more with that grinding noise but as soon as i put neutral the noise and shaking goes away.

i want to know what is causing it n how much it can cost me to fix?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

At first your problem sounded like the old std out of true brake disk/drum problem (needing to be turned or replaced) with a set of worn out lining. But your further description has led me to believe otherwise.

It sounds like it may be time for an inner CV joint. They manifest themselves in strange ways sometimes and its not always clear until you put the car up on stand or a lift. But that would be my best guess.
As far as cost? Well, most times these days we buy a re-manufactured axle assembly and install it as a unit. That would include the inner and outer CV joints and a trued or re-balanced axle shaft. They can be fairly inexpensive or they can cost a lot. It all depends where its purchased from, who installs it and what warranty they offer. Plus demographics also has a hand in the cost.

But I say again, this is only an educated guess. I can't be sure that is the problem w/o actually seeing the car. You will need to inspect it yourself, or have a professional inspect it to confirm my theory.