Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

sound of a new car and dipstick & etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sound of a new car and dipstick & etc

Obviously running some synthetic or other....
I finally changed mine @ 9K, w/a filter change in between @ 5K. It too was just starting to turn brown.

And I know this is an issue w/you SST, but I have to agree. The dipstick on theseengines require some careful twisting to remove and install, and are VERY hard to read... especially w/new oil.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Not sure why the dipsticks on the 2.0L are the regular old blade kind....that's what was on my 3.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: wineye

Just passed my 1st week with the Mazda 3, (drove it off from dealer last Friday night with only 8 miles on it), here's a few things I observed relating to sound:

(4) when turning the key from off to on, you'll hear (always) a "wooshing" from rear of the car, sounds like something is being pressurized. I am wondering if (3) and (4) are related, and has something to do with the fuel tank......can someone shed some light on this?

(5) the dipsitck is hard to read if not possible, when it pulled out, the oil/fluid is all over the thing.
(4) The wooshing sound ... I hear a sound like that sometimes when I turn the key... which I have attributed to the electronic fuel pump coming on and pressurizing.

(5) I have whined a lot about the dipstick. To read it, park your car somewhere level, let it get completely cold (overnight, or at least a couple hours). Then, instrong daylightor under a flourescent light,pull the dipstick, being careful to keep the bob end lower than the handle end. Look at the BACK of it (flat edge where you'll see some letters imprinted)... you should be able to see the wet/dry line on the back.

An important oilnote, in some computer systems (used by oil change places), they seem to have the wrong oil capacity number for the 2.0 engine- which can result in them putting too much in.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Yeah. Athough I have not seen it, it would seem that they put the oil filter in the right spot.
My 1999 Grand Am and my 2001 Sunfire both had the filter right above the exhaust pipe. If I took it to a quicky change place, oil would be all over the pipe and I would have to clean it off. Burning oil smell is the worst. [:'(]

Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I finally changed mine @ 9K, w/a filter change in between @ 5K. It too was just starting to turn brown.

And I know this is an issue w/you SST, but I have to agree. The dipstick on theseengines require some careful twisting to remove and install, and are VERY hard to read... especially w/new oil.

even with clean oil you can barely read it. well i can but just very hard and i have to squint my eyes. i also noticed that for the window washer fluid is very wierd on how you check it. have to keep your thumb on it hmmmm.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

ORIGINAL: virgin1

And I know this is an issue w/you SST, but I have to agree. The dipstick on these engines require some careful twisting to remove and install, and are VERY hard to read... especially w/new oil.

even with clean oil you can barely read it. well i can but just very hard and i have to squint my eyes. i also noticed that for the window washer fluid is very wierd on how you check it. have to keep your thumb on it hmmmm.
placing the thumb over the center hole provides the vaccum to hold the water in the clear straw......
________
Buy new condo in Pattaya

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

I think you meant "especially"with clean oil... which has already been said. Only after the oil begins to turn, which is several thousands miles in my case, does it become easier to see.
I have already over filled after an oil change for this reason. It's a PITA.

As for the other: What wineye said....

"placing the thumb over the center hole provides the vaccum to hold the water in the clear straw...... "