Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

is there a better oil dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Default is there a better oil dipstick?

This may sound stupid, but I just got a mazda3s, and for some reason i really don't like the motor oil dipstick. i'm used to dipsticks being flat at the end and being shiny metal. the 2.3 engine dipstick has a dip at the end of the dipstick (holder for oil or something) and it's a dull metal color, so you can't see very well where the level of the oil actually is. i'm used to seeing the oil shine in the sun on the shiny metal dipstick, but with this dipstick it is very hard to tell where the oil level actually is, and it's confusing to me on where the level is really at. anybody else know what i'm talking about, or is it just me? does anybody know where i can get a different type of dipstick for the 2.3L engine, if they even make one? not a big deal, just wondering if anybody has any feedback on that.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Default RE: is there a better oil dipstick?

i have some difficulty reading the dipstick as well. but its just something i learned to deal with...

Old 02-13-2006, 12:26 AM

Take your dipstick and hit it with a polishing wheel.,..and just polish the tip where you want it to be shiny,..??
It wouldn't take much to buff it to a shine.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:57 AM

yeah i noticed that too, i just too i just remind myself to change the oil every 3,000 miles, i dont even read it.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:05 AM
Default Dipstick problem

I've had no luck in finding an aftermarket blade type dipstick. Check out "The dipstick: Fixing what ain't broke," on this forum for videos of how to modify the original.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ahura
I've had no luck in finding an aftermarket blade type dipstick. Check out "The dipstick: Fixing what ain't broke," on this forum for videos of how to modify the original.
No No No No this is a bad idea....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All you need to "LEARN" the proper way to read your dipstick!!!

Good luck with that. If you read what I posed you would not waste your money which will I am sure the end result. Information often posted on the internet is not accurate and tends to be more "MacGyver" then factual. LOL

I deal with dip sticks every workday and not just the oil dip stick. Nevertheless, you are not the first that just can't understand how to use and read a "DIP STICK"! lol

The second video is CLEARY the incorrect way to install a dip stick and read it even with the hacking up of the end?? LOL

The first one actually made be ROLMAO, I mean this guy installs the dip stick and twist it around. Complains about the proper seal that must be made in that type of engine and then the comment about oil falling off the dip stick.. ROLAMO!!!!!

Last edited by Callisto; 12-14-2023 at 10:47 AM.