Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Need ideas and help with wiring stuff in...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Default Need ideas and help with wiring stuff in...

I need some advice...

I run a radar detector in my 3 and also wish to run a set or two of accent lights (LEDs most likely) around the dash/passenger area. I have very little experience in wiring in cars. My question is this... Without having to use a bulky 3-to-1 adaptor from my main 12v, then from the adaptor to the radar and lights (lots of wires and extra ****...no good!), what's the best way to wire/plug this stuff in with minimal wires showing (or at least dangling around), but keep the LEDs hot with a key turn, or better yet, syncing the LEDswith things like turning on headlights? I guess I could wire in a switch, but I have no good ideas where to install it or how to evenrun wires through the inside of the 3up to the battery. Like I said, I'm a newb in this area and haven't poked around the car enough to get good ideas. The radar can always be hot because it has it's own switch on the unit, but the lights....argh!

Basically I want to know the best way to run multiple-powered things, lights + radar, in the most efficient and hidden way with possible switches or tying it in with other power on/off options already in the car. Any suggestions or links??? Sorry I've had a few beerrs so my grammar might be a little sloppy.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need ideas and help with wiring stuff in...

For the radar detector I'd run it off the lighter... I mean why do you need to have it on when the car's off? Get a 12v DC power splitter from Walmart for <$5 (the kind connected by wires, not a solid piece). Cut one of the ports off of it with a few inches of wire to work with, and then tap the wires behind the cigarette lighter behind the panel using wire taps. Then just plug your radar detector into the new plug and put everything back together. The radar will turn on with the ignition, there won't be any visible wires (except what's going to the detector itself) and you can still use the lighter plug.

For the LEDs you have several choices. I installed a few and tapped them off of the ring around the cigarette lighter. Another easy option would be the ashtray light. They both come on with the headlights but the lit ring will dim with the rest of the dash lights, whereas the ashtray light doesn't dim.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM

Ashtray light....great idea. Thanks man.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sizzlin07

Ashtray light....great idea. Thanks man.
Remember that the ashtray light doesn't dim with the dimmer ****. I had my LEDs wired to that until I realized that they didn't dim. Then I changed it over to the lit ring around the lighter plug so that they'd dim as well.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 PM

Gotcha. Yeah, when I really think about it I guess I'd rather have em dim....u never know when they'll get annoying or stick out if the dash is dimmed.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sizzlin07

Gotcha. Yeah, when I really think about it I guess I'd rather have em dim....u never know when they'll get annoying or stick out if the dash is dimmed.
I thought about leaving them wired the way they were, but like you said when I turned the dimmer down they really stuck out. I think with them dimming as well they look much more like they came on the car originally. I don't dim it down that much... usually only if I'm driving on the highway at night but it still looks better.