Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda dealer stuff (CAI and heated mirrors)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Default Mazda dealer stuff (CAI and heated mirrors)

Having a brand new 07 4dGT, I was talking to the parts guy about a few things at the dealer I purchased the car from. One of these items was the heated mirrors so hotly discussed in one of the threads. My dealer can order the heated mirrors for me. They quoted a price of ~$300 for both.The other very interesting point thatwe talked aboutwere CAI. I told him that I would like to add one and asked if it screwed up my warranty. They confirmed that adding an aftermarket unit would in fact impact the warranty. however, he told me that Mazda now has a CAI which can be purchased (~$50.00 higher then aftermarket units) you can have put on your car which will not alter or void the manufacturers warranty. From the way he spoke I could put it on myself and still maintain warranty integrity.

Just an FYI for those who do not want to wait 3 years to get a jump on HP

Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Default RE: Mazda dealer stuff (CAI and heated mirrors)

yeah, mazda has a whole line of MazdaSpeed parts available.
such as exhausts, CAI, rims, lowering springs, coilovers, sway bars, short shift kit, lightened flywheels, etc
i think they make em for the 6, 3, rx8, 5, and the mx5

and you can buy just about any accessory for your car.
like, say for example you bought a basse 3, which comes with steelies, you can buy the stock OEM 17's thru mazda, and it wont void your warranty.

however, the mazdaspeed parts carry their own warrenty. for example, the lightened flywheel carries no warranty, your on your own once its installed. while the MS 18" rims carry i think i 1 year warranty or something like that.

and the mazdaspeed parts are generally more expensive than other non mazda parts.
ex. AEM CAI vs MS CAI
the MS one would be more expensive

Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM

You better get it in writing that you can install those parts without voiding your warranty. I've got numerous Mazdaspeed parts (exhaust/camber links, soon to be MS struts/shocks) on my car and my dealer wouldn't touch my car under warranty anymore. I was in the dealer for something else and the service rep was checking my car out listing off the things done to the car and the various parts of the warranty that they would no longer honor.

Good thing I've had (0) problems with my car and I only have 2300 miles left on my warranty.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

If the dealer told me that the mirrors would run me $300 then I would laugh in his face and tell him he's lying! There are two ways for you to do the heated mirrors, and neither of them cost that much.

Method 1: Full replacement ~$205. You replace the entire mirror (glass & housing). I don't have the p/n's handy, but HERE's a link to a premade kit including both mirrors and shipping (just provide your paint color code) from www.onlinemazdaparts.com. Simply remove the triangular panel on the inside of the door (where the tweeter is), unplug the harness, unscrew the three bolts, remove the old mirror housing, and then reinstall the new housing in reverse order.

Method 2: Partial replacement ~$90. You replace the glass of the mirror with the glass w/ heating element. (right side BP8M691G1
left side BP8M691G7, $41.16/ea.)
This requires fabrication of a few plug pins, and running about 16" of wire (for each mirror). The harness plug on the mirror side of the harness in the stock (non-heated) mirror does not have the pins in place to pick up the power from the wiring on the door-side of the harness. You'll need to find some small pieces of metal (computer pins, diode pins, etc) and cut them to the correct length and then run a length of wire from the pins to the heating element. If you're comfortable with wiring at all then this should be a pretty simple modification, however if you're not very technically minded then you may want to go the full replacement method.

If you want some pictures of things then look at THIS walkthrough posted by billm on www.mazda3forums.com. This is for the partial replacment, though if you're doing the full replacement only follow the steps to remove the mirror and then plug in the new one. If you're planning on ordering these then I highly recommend going through Jason at www.onlinemazdaparts.com. He works in the parts department at Montgomery Mazda in Charlotte, NC so you're still getting OEM parts directly from a dealer. I've dealt with him on multiple occasions and I have to say I've rarely seen a sponsor go to the trouble he does to help people out, answer their questions, and give them the best price possible. He also takes care of problems right away (had a problem with my flip key and he overnighted me a new part!).

Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM

thanks for the update. I would never buy anything without doing an Internet search.