Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Default Low oil pressure

I’ve got a 2016 Mazda 3 with 35,490 km on it. We don’t drive this car in the winter, and just stored it in the garage. I changed the oil about a month before I stored it this year. I started it once a month during the winter months. When I started it today, it showed the maintenance wrench on it, because it has passed the maintenance time limit. No problem. But my low oil pressure light is also on and showing a warning. Could this be because the car has not been used and the oil may be a bit thick, or should I get it towed to the dealer and diagnosed. I know that light is not good, and am a bit worried. I turned it off as soon as I saw it, but other times during the winter it was started with the remote start, so I have no idea if it was on then. I hope I didn’t screw the engine.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:36 PM

You do not need to start a stored car once you store it if you follow a few storing tips. Mostly fill the fuel tank add fuel stabilizer and disconnect the battery.
The reality is starting an engine as you described has negative attributes because you may not reach operating temperatures long enough during your run periods..

The engine oil should not cause a low oil indication if at the level mark on your dip stick. .
Check the levels and run the engine a few minutes.
Your problem may may oil sensor related?

You should check for any pending DC using a Diagnostic Tool connected to the OBDII diagnostic connector? If you do not own one now is a good time for the small investment in one before you go to a shop or dealer. You may save the cost of them doing the same thing and finding out the issue and charging the basic fee's which is likely to be an hour @ 100 per hour labor. That could have been spent buying a Diagnostic Tool.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:57 PM

It is full of fuel and when it was started it ran for 10 minutes, so it did reach operating temperature. I do have a diagnosing tool but I don’t want to run the car if it has no oil pressure. I’ll probably just get it towed. It’s under warranty. I just didn’t want to go through the hassle if it was something small I could do myself.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Check the oil level, if its full, get it towed.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:58 AM

Ya it is full. It was just changed before the winter also. That was the first thing I checked.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorman3
It is full of fuel and when it was started it ran for 10 minutes, so it did reach operating temperature. I do have a diagnosing tool but I don’t want to run the car if it has no oil pressure. I’ll probably just get it towed. It’s under warranty. I just didn’t want to go through the hassle if it was something small I could do myself.
While the engine coolant may well have gotten up to operating temperature, I rather doubt the engine oil did as well. Here's the thing, unless the oil is up to full operating temperature and held there long enough to boil off the accumulated condensate, you run the risk of mixing the water and the oil and forming an acidic emulsion which is very bad for your engine. As @Callisto said, fill it. park it, and disconnect the battery.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:55 AM

Its highly unlikely that you damaged the "mechanical" oil pump!
It is more likely that you have an oil sender concern which would be electrical communication to the ECU .
If you have the car towed to a shop/Dealer they will still start your engine and listen and collect information i.e., .. OBDII check and then possibly connect a hard line to mechanically check oil pressure with another starting of your engine ? This is all going to cost you when you can do a few simple test yourself before you take it to a shop?

But I understand if you have reservations because of the oil light then have it towed off to a shop/Dealer $.