Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

ipod connectivity and new 2010 m3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM

I hope you guys aren't telling me that I have to pay more $$ to have the dealer install an Ipod adapter. In my '07, I had the dealer install the Sirius to the factory radio which disabled the AUX input. They told me that I had to pay ~$150 for some type of splitter to use the AUX for the Ipod. Since the car was leased, I said no.

On the '10, they are telling me that I will have full Ipod capability without an adapter, presumably through the AUX input. My car will have the Tech package (includes Sirius) if that matters at all.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the salesman doesn't know what he is talking about or I am going to get another costly surprise when the car arrives.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:29 AM

I plug it in through the aux port in the center console. I use a straight cable from the head phone jack. Do i need an ipod adapter to make the iPod work properly? It will play the music but i cant change songs through the car i need to do it all on the ipod itself. sorry im not very tech savvy. Thanks guys

Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 PM

If you are using a cable only out of the headphone jack then yes it would make sense that all you would have would be volume control using that. To get more functions you would have to use the multi-pin (flat) connector, and likely need the full Ipod adapter module (I think that is what Mazda calls it) which is the dealer installed item in the glovebox.

I was at Fry's Electronics today and saw an Ipod Bluetooth adapter for $20 so I picked that up even though someone here said they don't work. My car won't be here for a while so I can't test yet but we'll see.

My sales guy says he has an IPhone and claims full music functionality through its Bluetooth connection with the car, but thats a vastly different animal that the Ipod.

One thing Mazda forgot on the new 3 is a USB port, I have seen some criticism of that and in theory it would allow more versatile connectivity of many devices.

Last edited by Mark56; 07-11-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM

In order to get full function of your iPod, you need the adapter and the module installed...I just went through this whole ordeal with my new 2010.
The cable is long enough for them to get it up to the center console...I didn't want it in the glove box because i usually just shove stuff in there.

If you have the Tech package with Sirius then they should know that you will need the module for cars with Sirius. same price as the one for cars without Sirius.

I did try the Bluetooth adapter with my iPod, however it wouldn't connect...The mazda could see it, just not connect with it...It's not the same as built in bluetooth like I have on my Blackberry where it connects properly and I can actually control the volume and up and down for tracks from the steeringwheel.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Thanks, that is great info. My car has not even been built yet, so I doubt I will see it before Labor Day. Just for grins I'll probably try the bluetooth adapter and see what happens, it was only $20 so if the car won't sync I might be able to use it with the bluetooth on my laptop, no biggie. Next time I talk to the sales guy I will see what he has to say about the adapter and pass along your experiences.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Default 2010 mazda3 hatch Ipod questions

Just bought it
I have a Iphone 3g and Ipod
I have connected to the Iphone with bluetooth works well can use the phone and also play music but have to control everything with the Iphone
No display nothing
There is a kit but not much info
What I want to know is what can it do
The 2010 Brochure shows the IPOD conected and it shows artist / album / song
What controll will it have?
But how about searcing by say artist?
Search by album
You would think that 2010 should have everything working
Eapicaly for 380.00 or more
Thank you

Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM

You need to buy the iPod harness and Adapter and have it installed...like the picture your iPod will plug into it and when you hit AUX or MODE on the steering wheel the word iPod will show up in the display.

You can then control everything on your iPod...Search by Artist, Playlist, Genre....Once in a playlist, you can use the big center dial to find a song.

Connection through Bluetooth will only allow you to play music through your iPhone, you can't control it through the Mazda stereo or steering wheel buttons.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Great thread guys. Just the information I was looking for.

So is this ipod harness and adapter only available through the dealer? Can it be found on ebay or anywhere else cheaper and has anyone installed it themselves? Just trying to find out if any money can be saved since we all know how pricey anything from the dealer is.

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 AM

I forgot to ask, does anyone have any pictures of the radio display while it's in ipod mode? I'm curious to see how it displays the MP3 info.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by coolvirus
Great thread guys. Just the information I was looking for.

So is this ipod harness and adapter only available through the dealer? Can it be found on ebay or anywhere else cheaper and has anyone installed it themselves? Just trying to find out if any money can be saved since we all know how pricey anything from the dealer is.

Thank you in advance.
It is available on-line but spending the extra money to have it done by someone who will get it right the first time is well worth the money. Mazda3 is a 22-30k Vehicle why would you risk letting anyone but a professional touch it? I work at a Mazda Dealer I have seen customers try and save money but end up coming to the dealer and paying even more to get the problem fixed. I guess it's like playing the lottery. I know with how the economy was alot of us are looking to save money.
I am sorry I do not have interface pictures but I will get some if I run into it.

Good Luck and Congrats on your purchase!!

Quick Reply: ipod connectivity and new 2010 m3