Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Ipod Bluetooth adapter for '10

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Question Ipod Bluetooth adapter for '10

Has anyone found a Bluetooth adapter for the Ipod (Classic) that will pair with the BT audio on the 2010? I bought a cheap one and it won't pair with the car.

I see that Sony has one for about $50 that is highly rated, but the reviews all relate to pairing with headphones, nothing about a car.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Thumbs down Any luck?

Did you ever get the Sony adapter? Were you able to get it to work??

Just curious. I was looking at this same adapter to use with my iPod Nano 5G in my '10 Mazda3, and was hoping to get some feedback before shelling out the $50.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 AM

I decided to give it a try and bought the Sony Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter to use with my iPod Nano 5G, and although I got it to pair and work (somewhat) with my '10 Mazda 3, it had many issues so I wound up returning it. I can't speak on how it may work with other iPod or MP3 players, but I would think some of the issues would be the same with any device.

The issues:
1. You must have the Sony BT device connected to the iPod and turned on before starting up the Mazda. Although it will still connect when you turn it on with the car already started, you will not have the Play/Pause function with the HU, or track changing function with the steering wheel buttons. You will need to re-establish the connection through the Mazda menu (Setup/Select Music Player voice command or BT Audio/Change Link) and select the Sony BT device before these functions are restored.

2. Whenever the iPod is not being used for a short time and enters sleep mode, the Sony device turns off and the BT connection with the Mazda is lost (which brings us back to issue #1).

3. When the Sony device is turned off, it is usually necessary to disconnect it and then reconnect it to the iPod before turning it back on. If not, the iPod frequently locks up or resets.

IMO this solution has too many issues to make it worth the bother. My wife has an iTouch, which has Bluetooth functionality built in, and has none of these problems. Unless your MP3 device has BT built in, using the AUX connection is probably the better way to go.

Last edited by Mike58; 01-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.