Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2007 Mazda iPod adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Default 2007 Mazda iPod adapter

Just bought my new 2007 Mazda3 Sport (Canada). Car is fine, two days in, but audio system is another story.

In short, I purchased the new Mazda iPod adapter ($187 CDN) when I ordered the car, but can't seem to make it work. It didn't come with instructions. When I plugged in the iPod, the Mazda logo appeared on the iPod screen and below that it read: "O.K. to Disconnect". The car audio display said EX 1: 1. But the system only played one song, over-and-over. It won't randomly play multiple songs, as advertised.

So I checked out the Apple website for "ipod adapter". It referred me to this page. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93879

It turns out that BMW was the first to use the adapter, in 2004. In order for it to work in the BMW, the user had to create playlists specifically titled BMW1, BMW2, etc; that allowed the Mazda adapter software to recognize the iPod and different playlists. I tried making playlists using MAZDA or MZD, but nothing worked.

To make matters worse, the new AUX IN that came with the car doesn't work (the jack is in the container under the arm rest in the 2007 M3 Sport). According to the car manual, I am supposed to press the button on the console that says MEDIA in order to activate the AUX IN. But nothing happens.

Now you might be asking, why don't you ask the dealer for help? Thing is, I did, and although they installed the Mazda-branded ipod adapter (by the way, they ran the wire into the cupholder compartment, not the glove compartment as they were supposed to), they told me they don't have a clue how it's supposed to work, that none of them even own iPods. They told me to call Mazda Canada, which I did. A surly customer service agent said she had never even heard of such a thing called a Mazda iPod adapter, that it's the dealer's poblem and that perhaps I should call Apple. Yes, great customer service.

So if anyone owns a 2007 Mazda with a Mazda iPod adapter or aux in and has any advice on how to make the adapter or the aux work, I'd greatly appreciate it. Do I have the right to ask my dealer to take the damn thing out if they can't make it work and give me my money back?

Frustrated in Toronto, Tosh.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Default RE: 2007 Mazda iPod adapter

Almaden Mazda in San Jose California has a lousy parts and service department!!!

I ordered a sunscreen and a cargo tray for my CX-7 from Kevin McGinnis (Assistant Manager) on 09-23-06 but still have not received them yet!

At the time of purchase, I was told by Mr. Mc Ginnis that it would take about 2 weeks. Today is October 14th 2006 and I have yet to receive my parts that are already paid for!

Worse yet, I was told last week that my cargo tray has arrived and ready for pick up. This morning, I drove to see Mr. McGinnis and he said he could not locate the cargo tray! Such horrific business practice is unacceptable to say the least.

To add insult to injury, I was deceived and mislead into purchasing the iPod integration for my CX-7. I was told that the integration unit would work if my car does not have Sirius Radio - which it doesn't. However, after having the iPod integration unit installed by a technician named Neil, my iPod won't play! Worse yet, the mounting frame is now scratched and the paint on my passenger's door is also chipped!!!

To sum it up, I've lost many hours of my time (at least 3 hours waiting for the fruitless installation). I've spent hundreds of dollars but received no tangible benefit. This justifies for mass publication particularly all the Mazda forums.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 PM

Hey Bastard I just went thru the exact same problems with my Mazda dealership. Saying stuff was there for me to pickup(registration, spare key) so I'd go and it wouldn't be there. This went on and on for a couple of months. Finally have everything, it took a little over 2 months for the paper work to be done properly(I resigned it 2 times) and then I actually had to go to the bank directly and sit down with a rep there to do it the right way because the sales manager that I had been dealing thru the entire purchase couldn't do it right, couldn't return my calls, couldn't answer his phone and couldn't tell me the correct info about anyhtign I asked him. This was just the quick version of the story. Last week I sat down with a representative of the owner of the dealer and got myself 4 16" steelies and winter tires for free.

Sorry to thread jack, It just makes me mad that Mazda has such poor service and I own 2 mazda's now....It's gonna be a long couple of years.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:57 AM

Please see this thread and my follow-up post re: 2007 iPod adapter.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=59707.0