Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

straight piping

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Exclamation straight piping

im a little confused cuz ive heard both. when straight piping do you run your pipe from the cats all the way out with a tip on it? or do you run it from the cats to your stock muffler?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 AM

generally, straight pipe means that you are running pipe from a header with no cats all of the way back to the bumper. it can be with or without mufflers, but usually there are no cats involved.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 AM

im not all car smarts but i do know a little so forgive me if i say something thats not true.

im looking for a cheaper way to give me that exhaust sound. if i delete my muffler and replace with pipe will that work? or should i delete pipes all the way up to the cats, and replace the piping? i know for sure i want to keep my cats so if theres a way for the sound without the price please say so

Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 AM

the easiest power adder in the exhaust is a cat back exhaust and a high flow cat. a header will give you more gain but will be more money. check out www.corksport.com for exhaust deals. if you just add an exhaust tip, you wont get any real gains.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM

im not looking for gains right now. right now i just want the sound and when i get a job i will save up for an actual system.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM

dont bother then, because you have to cut the stock exhaust system out, so save yourself the money for having a shop to cut out the exhaust and then having to do it again when you get your real exhaust. What are you going to do if a cop decides to pull you over for a loud exhaust, if you remove your cat thats a very big issue and no shop (unless you know someone) is just gonna write it off.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:59 PM

i wasnt planning on removing cats, and idk how long it will be still i get my actual exhaust..is it going to be rediculously loud if i remove the muffler? ive seen some vids on youtube and such and it didnt seem all that loud to me, but i guess its always different in person.. ive already gone to a shop around here and they said they would do it for basically 100 bucks.. i told them i was planning on taking out the muffler and replacing it with piping back to my stock exhaust not removing whole system up to the headers.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 PM

also i didnt think it would be super loud due to its only a 4cly car..

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM

it can still get loud enough to make your ears bleed.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Carey
also i didnt think it would be super loud due to its only a 4cly car..
You must not have alot of hondas in your area then

Quick Reply: straight piping