Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Gear whine in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Default RE: Gear whine in 5th

ORIGINAL: Lupae3s

... the whine isnt from the gears, im almost positive its from the air intake (just almost). i am able to get my car to make the high pitched whistle whichever gear i am in if i keep my throttle positioned in a certain spot (im going to say about 2/9ths of the way engaged) ... Do you have anything done to your intake or any aftermarket intake systems, drop in filters, etc.?
My engine's intake system is completely factory stock. I've never thought about the whistle coming from the intake. I'll do some experimenting this weekend with different gears and throttle positions to see if I can duplicate the noise like you have in your car. I'm having a Mazda dealer look at the car on Monday. This dealership (not the one I bought the car from) has so far been helpful in fixing some interior rattles and a faulty clutch pedal assembly. Maybe they can help on this issue.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Default RE: Gear whine in 5th

After doing some research on another forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com), I've learned my issue is shared by others. I can't find any information on a cure, of course. Just bad engineering, I guess.

I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area and most of our freeways have rubberized asphalt that substantially reduces road noise. Therefore, engine and transmission sounds are much more audible. I can tell you that the whine I hear at 60-65 mph in my Mazda3 is piercing. I have heard nothing like it in any of my previous cars with manual transmissions, including two late-model Honda Civics, one Toyota Corolla, a '65 VW Beetle and an '80 Jeep Cherokee -- all driven to well over 100,000 miles.