Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Fuel economy mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Default Fuel economy mods?

So, I bought a 2013 skyactiv mazda3 6spd and am wondering what are some of the better mods that I can do to increase fuel economy? also -- where can I go online to get that info?

Thanks!

nathan

Old 05-17-2014, 01:55 PM

also - which of these mods can I do without voiding my warranty?

Old 05-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Banned

Get yourself a hi-flow drop-in air filter to make sure as much air as possible can get in like:
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/int...-cx-5-a-31478/
K&N drop in filter does not void warranty, if a fuss please contact K&N and they will blast Mazda!

Keep your fuel injectors clean by adding in Redline Fuel system cleaner:
Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gasoline Fuel Additives - SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Throttle body spacers are possible. Doubt it will be easy finding one.
READ: Throttle Body Spacer - Perfromance Throttle Body Spacer - Spacer Throttle Body | Auto Parts WarehouseSpacer
Throttle-body injection (TBI) systems are more likely to benefit from a spacer than a multi-point fuel injection (MFI) system. The smaller diameter of a TFI system benefits from the additional plenum volume provided by the spacer, which gives the fuel more opportunity to vaporize. So if your car has a stock MFI intake manifold and you wish to improve fuel efficiency, adding a throttle bed spacer might not give you the horsepower and increased mileage you expect.

Synthetic oil in engine will help with less friction.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-17-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:30 PM

jaj:
You have a car that is already optimized for fuel economy. You could buy a Prius to get better fuel economy but that is about it. But I like the Skyactive approach better. They made a lot of little improvements throughout the car to achieve better fuel economy.
UseYourNoggin's pointers are good and valid in general. But your car is so new that I doubt you get any notable improvement. If you keep your car for 5 years or so the drop in K&N will pay for itself. Don't throw the existing filter away. Use it on the one weekend per year when you clean the K&N and put it back in before you sell the car. You should always be able to get a few bucks for a K&N.
Other than that keep junk out of the car, so not to add weight, keep the tires properly inflated or slightly higher than the label in the door jamb suggests and drive as evenly as possible. Accelerate gently, coast as soon as you see the need to slow down, like stop signs and red lights.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanprotege
jaj:
You have a car that is already optimized for fuel economy. You could buy a Prius to get better fuel economy but that is about it. But I like the Skyactive approach better. They made a lot of little improvements throughout the car to achieve better fuel economy.
UseYourNoggin's pointers are good and valid in general. But your car is so new that I doubt you get any notable improvement. If you keep your car for 5 years or so the drop in K&N will pay for itself. Don't throw the existing filter away. Use it on the one weekend per year when you clean the K&N and put it back in before you sell the car. You should always be able to get a few bucks for a K&N.
Other than that keep junk out of the car, so not to add weight, keep the tires properly inflated or slightly higher than the label in the door jamb suggests and drive as evenly as possible. Accelerate gently, coast as soon as you see the need to slow down, like stop signs and red lights.
Very Good points!