Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Fitting an amp - lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Default Fitting an amp - lots of questions

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this a duplicate thread...

I have a 2005 Mazda TS, and when I bought (in 2007) it I replaced the Head Unit. As part of that I did research into the speaker system to some extent but ended up going to a local shop for advice too and they recommended and supplied the head unit, fascia and wiring harness so in the end I didn't really have to do much work.

Now I plan to put a computer in the car . It will be replacing the head unit (physically) and so I believe I will need an amp to drive the speakers.

I recall reading that (some?) Mazda 3's have a BOSE speaker system, and amp?

Does anyone know if my model has this, if so do I need an amp or is the BOSE system enough?

If not, what should I look for in an amp? What is the RMS power of the speakers (so I can match the amp). Etc, etc...

I guess I'm looking for any and all advice. Any tips on running wires from front to back, or under the seats, places to mount an amp, computer, and so on would be greatly appreciated.

I have messed with car electrics before in this and other cars, but not to this degree. I am experienced with electronics and have no problems understanding laws and concepts (RMS, Ohms Law, etc) so don't hold back on the technical terms

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Get the Alpine PDX-5 and mount it to the top of the glove box where the factory nav module went. Well... that would be my idea and as far as I can take you on this topic.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Since this post I have done even more digging on the net. I have an AMP already, but don't really want to physically modify the car too much, especially not the glove box.

I've settled on putting the AMP in the boot because under the seats is tight (got air vents down there too) and probably a greater risk of theft.

As I say, since the last post I've done more research and actually started work. Removed the glove box to run the power cable through the firewall to the engine bay etc. Now looking at removing the center console to run wires to the back.

Useful links I found:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...my-amp-install

How to install aftermarket amp into Mazda 3 MPS / mazdaspeed - YouTube

Mazda 3 Amp installation? - Yahoo! Answers

How to Install an Amp in a Mazda 3 | eHow.com

How to Get to the Bose Amp in 2006 Mazda 3 | eHow.com

New headunit & amp install, pics and that

ETERNAL's System Build - Mazdaspeed Forums

Full Audio Install, Deadening with Pictures - Mazdaspeed Forums

volt's mazda 3 hatchback worklog (lots of pics) - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

volt's 2006 mazda 3 hatchback worklog (lots of pics) - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

Part 2 – Removal of Interior ( seats, center console, etc.) | Mazda3Carpet.com by MAZEURO