Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Cold Start Engine rattle\Trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Default Cold Start Engine rattle\Trans problem

Hey guys, Im having two issues with my sons first car. First problem is when he first starts it, he gets a rattle that sounds likes its coming from the timing belt cover. It only lasts about 1-2 seconds. If he shuts it off and restarts the sounds is not there. Looks like its a common problem. Whats the best fix? Is it the chain tensioner? If the chain is not stretched, can we just replace the tensioner?

In regards to the transmission, when first running the car, it shifts a bit hard into second gear, once its warmed up the hard shifting goes away. Any ideas on how this can be fixed? Is it the tranny going out?

Old 09-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Did you check the fluid level in the tranny? I would change the fluid, possible water contamination or low level.

The startup rattle is common due to leakdown of the VVT actuator. Many youtube videos on this and repair options, some much more costly then its worth. Someone else here who actually have done them can provide their suggestions.

RGAZ

Old 09-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by RGAZ
Did you check the fluid level in the tranny? I would change the fluid, possible water contamination or low level.

The startup rattle is common due to leakdown of the VVT actuator. Many youtube videos on this and repair options, some much more costly then its worth. Someone else here who actually have done them can provide their suggestions.

RGAZ
Yes I did, it looks good and fairly new, but it wouldnt hurt to change it. Ill give that a shot.
As for the rattle, it goes away unlike some of the videos ive seen where the rattle remains the whole time the engine is running. Ours only last for a second or two. Sounds like the repair for this is way beyond my basic knowledge. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:07 PM

If its the actuator, depending on your ability and garage you might be able to do it. But the part is expensive and if you are doing it a chain, tensioner and guides are in order. That is a big job and $$. If you want to try something easier to see if maybe you get lucky, you can try replacing the VVT Solenoid first (not the actuator). Its only about $35 online and its possible that it is allowing the leakdown, It a little of a long shot, but much much easier to replace. Its a small piece easily reached from the top of the engine. Doable in the driveway.

To replace it, just remove the valve cover (engine cover, plugs, battery disconnect etc.) and its held in by one bolt on the passenger side of the engine between the camshafts.. It has a single electrical connector to it (2 wires). Its possible that it is not sealing well and allowing oil leakdown past its plunger.

If you can change your oil and take your time, I think you can replace that solenoid. After you replace it you may want to change your oil, especially if it looks cruddy.

Do some internet searches to see what I mean and you can get the solenoid very cheap from www.rockauto.com

RGAZ

Old 09-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RGAZ
If its the actuator, depending on your ability and garage you might be able to do it. But the part is expensive and if you are doing it a chain, tensioner and guides are in order. That is a big job and $$. If you want to try something easier to see if maybe you get lucky, you can try replacing the VVT Solenoid first (not the actuator). Its only about $35 online and its possible that it is allowing the leakdown, It a little of a long shot, but much much easier to replace. Its a small piece easily reached from the top of the engine. Doable in the driveway.

To replace it, just remove the valve cover (engine cover, plugs, battery disconnect etc.) and its held in by one bolt on the passenger side of the engine between the camshafts.. It has a single electrical connector to it (2 wires). Its possible that it is not sealing well and allowing oil leakdown past its plunger.

If you can change your oil and take your time, I think you can replace that solenoid. After you replace it you may want to change your oil, especially if it looks cruddy.

Do some internet searches to see what I mean and you can get the solenoid very cheap from www.rockauto.com

RGAZ
Funny you mention that because I was just looking at that part based on a video that was referring to it. I will give that a shot, not much to lose. Ive replaced shocks and even the entire power steering rack on my Supra so I should be able to pull this off. Thank you for your time and advice, really appreciate it.