Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Couple of transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Default Couple of transmission questions

Should I be concerned about a single click as the transmission is engaging from the engine area when I shift to reverse? Only started noticing recently. Does anyone else hear this?
Also, is it normal for the 2.0 to be slow to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It seems that the transmission is much happier to go from 3rd to 1st. For example when slowing at a traffic light that turns green before you make a complete stop, is takes maybe a secondafter I press the accelerator for the transmission to downshift out of third to 2nd so I can accelerate. Sometimes with a noticable "bang" into gear.The downshift from 3rd to 1st is much quicker and smoother when I "punch" it. Well as much as you can punch the 2.0

Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Couple of transmission questions

1. When you put an automatic transmission in gear, you will hear something. Can you tell where the click is coming from? Is it loud? Does it sound electronic, or mechanical?

2. After driving a stick for many years, Iam very accustomed to having the car in what I feel is the right gear at any moment.Since you can throw it the M3 auto into manual mode and select the gear you want, if your unhappy with the shifting, you don't have to live in the wrong gear if you don't want. I would agree the tranny overshifts on its own, I often end up in 4th gear going 35 mph,and the engine doesn't seem to like it.

3. I find the 2.0 delivers a good amount of punch (less than the 2.3 for sure, but still good), with reference to the above, you can downshift and rev it up to get some good power when you want it.

4. I wouldn't punch the gas to make the auto trannychange gears, that puts a lot of stress on your tranny.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM

You havethe automatic transmission you shift yourself?? From what you said I cant tell what kind of tranny you have.

Slowing down, I leave it in 3rd. I never shift lower than that. When I am about to come to a stop it shifts itself into 1st, but usually Im stopped when this happens.

I was leaving it in 4 and around 20mph I would shift to 3, but the car shifts itself around this point into 3rd and the end result it would downshift into 2nd and yeah its kind of rough. So I just leave it in 3rd.

And I dont downshift and then punch it out, I just punch it and let it downshift itself. I've been in 5th and punched it and the car drops to 2nd and its smooth.

Mine clicks too, but Im not sure if its from R-N or N-D....

Now Im curious how other people drive this thing....

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sorry should have specified....Auto tranny...

{"When you put an automatic transmission in gear, you will hear something. Can you tell where the click is coming from? Is it loud? Does it sound electronic, or mechanical?"}

The clicking is lower center of engine bay and is loud compared to the noise going into Drive. Sounds mechanical (metalic). My first suspicion was low fluid but it was good.
I'm just curious whether such a loud click is common in this transmission or whether is an indicator of trouble brewing.

{"4. I wouldn't punch the gas to make the auto trannychange gears, that puts a lot of stress on your tranny."}
That is what is so frustrating. You would expect to not have to punch the gas while in 3rd to get 2nd but this thing will try to accelerate from 25mph in 3rd if you don't get on it a little. I would expect that at that speedthe slightessdepression of the gas pedal should immediately get 2nd and not wait to see if you're serious. [8D]

The downshift interval from 3rd to 2nd just seems lengthy to me. And when I get the gear it is a bit rough. Alot worse with the AC on (as to be expected). I guess this is more of a complaint than a problem but I am
curious about other ppl's driving experience. It just seems odd that catching a low gear at slow speeds (20-30mph) would take so long. But maybe it is because of whatWarp mentioned...hanging on to 3rd for so long. I guess that is fuel efficient timing.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM

One of the features of the auto trans is to skip the 2nd gear in certain conditions (not clear what), it goes from 3rd to 1st. IMHO, this control logic can be revised such that when a car slows down to around 15 mph, instead hanging at the 3rd, it should kick down to the 2nd when there's demand for more rapid accel. (well if it's a mild accel demand, remaining in the 3rd gear is wise though).

My experience is that when I come to a right turn (no light), I've slowed down enough (10-15mph) but not standstill, the trans will get me in a 3rd gear, if I demand more by pushing the throttle, it'll kick down to 2nd, but have not seen/felt hard shift to 2nd gear. This usually happens when there's right turn followed by uphill road. Don't be afraid to push on the throttle, it's an electronic one (drive-by-wire type), the ATX computer might expect a certain level of driver input to change gear. I also found if I am agressive with the throttle, theupshift is delayed to give me the needed torque.
________
Buy cannabis seeds

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 PM

I think I have to press the pedal about halfway to get it to downshift. Mine sometimes tries to accelerate from5-10mph in 3rd, its like c'mon puppy!!

I noticed a real long delay this morningshifting from1 to 2. I have to shift real low in the range or real highfor it to feel normal. Sometimes I think its just better to start in 2nd when I first take off in the morning.

btw welcome to the forum ta know!