Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

New and Clueless! Couple of Questions

Old 08-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Default New and Clueless! Couple of Questions

My husband and I bought a 1994 Miata in March of this year. It was in pretty decent shape except for a few things. We love the car and hope to keep it in good shape. We replaced the head rest speakers and got an oil change, but that was pretty much all it needed. Now, we really have to get a new soft top and have no clue about how to do that! Any suggetions? Is everything part of the top (fabric, bars, mechanics, etc.?) Or is it all separate? Is it a do-it-yourself type thing or is experience a must? Neither of us has ever had a convertible.

Also, we need new tires. We're not going to be racing or anything, but need a good tire.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Default RE: New and Clueless! Couple of Questions

well you have your hands full. All the rest of the stuff can be easily done except the soft top.
In reality doing a soft top can be a challenge. I would suggest you go on the web and purchase a new top (vinyl or leather) and have a professional in your area do it.
I did mine, but it might be a little taxing for the fainted hearth.
The bars on the soft top remains.. All you have to do is purchase the fabric not the metal pieces.
Please let me know if you have anymore question.
Good luck.