Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Clutch and Car Problems - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Default Clutch and Car Problems - Please help

This is my first post, so hopefully I put it in the right place!

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L (Manual) with about 90000 miles on it. Recently, I have noticed that when I press the accelerator to aggressively my rpm's shoot up to around 4500. This normally wouldn't be an issue, except that it happens when I am going about 30 mph in 3rd gear with my clutch fully disengaged (going at this speed in this gear I should normally be around 2000rpms). Also, this isn't right after I shift gears, it happens any time I press the accelerator to aggressively, even if I have been driving in 3rd gear for a few minutes. Admittedly, I am hard on my car - I enjoy driving - but I think (hope) it is to early for it to have any serious issues. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- Devin

Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

Time for a new clutch! 1st sign is slipping when flooring.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Time for a new clutch! 1st sign is slipping when flooring.
Okay, thank you! Is this something urgent, or can I sit on it for a week or two?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Banned

Once the clutch starts slipping slightly you will have plenty of time to arrange an appointment, probably two weeks or more if you're careful with the clutch. When shifting, try to match revs. When your clutch is slipping, it can cause additional problems if left unattended. The more your clutch slips, the higher the heat gets and the more wear and tear your vehicle will experience. A slipping clutch could result in damage to the pressure plate and flywheel, if not properly fixed. Now you can buy/re-machine the flywheel.
Quote: "If you're driving on flat roads, you can get a surprising amount of miles out of a slipping clutch as long as you don't slip it too much and overheat it. I think I got over a thousand miles out of one driving in swampland flat Minnesota."
Another Quote: "It could last a few weeks but you have to be careful and not drive it 'hard' i.e. to the point where it slips. This will become more prevalent at less revs anyway so once it starts to go at only 4,000 rpm you should probably take it right then. Do not take it in traffic where you are constantly engaging it from start and stop. Otherwise you will end up on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck."
Your clutch won't last as long in the city with stop and go.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by devin.h7
Okay, thank you! Is this something urgent, or can I sit on it for a week or two?
A slipping clutch isn't necessarily something that needs to be taken care of ASAP, but you also don't want to let it get too bad. You should be fine if you go easy on it for the next few weeks.