Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Clutch problem - please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Default Clutch problem - please help

Hi guys, i need your help with my clutch problem. Today, while driving and attempting to change gears, my clutch pedal went all the way to the floor.
You have to pull it up with your toe and pump it a couple of times for there to be pressure again. But when you release the clutch pedal all the way, then it just sinks to the floor again.
I think i know what the problem is, and if you agree with my assessment, then could you please advise me how to fix it, please.
Take a look at the following picture:
http://www.zone.ee/pleiadean/clutch.jpg?2

I think that area inside the red circle(don't know how to call it in English....sorry) is leaking a bit. Usually, on other models and makes, that whole thing can be replaced. I know that in BMWs it's very easy to change, but in this Mazda the whole thing seems to be built into the firewall, so only that little rubber ring can be replaced. Am i right?
I think i need special pliers to get that washer that's holding the rubber ring in, off, and then take out the rubber ring and replace it, but do they sell it in auto stores, and what do they even call it?
Anyway, any advice is appreciated. Would really like to do it myself without having to take the car to a repair shop.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Default RE: Clutch problem - please help

looks like your clutch master cylinder and sounds like it too. not sure on these dinky cars but most of the stuff i normally work on you unbolt it from the outside, there normally is a clip on the rod that attaches to the clutch pedal, but that thing looks like it has a nut or something. then there is a line on the bottom of the clutch master. the master needs to be bench bled before you put it on then sometimes you have to bleed the slave when done.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: rollin coal

looks like your clutch master cylinder and sounds like it too. not sure on these dinky cars but most of the stuff i normally work on you unbolt it from the outside, there normally is a clip on the rod that attaches to the clutch pedal, but that thing looks like it has a nut or something. then there is a line on the bottom of the clutch master. the master needs to be bench bled before you put it on then sometimes you have to bleed the slave when done.

Oh, i see! Thank's. But yeah, almost anything is near impossible to replace on that car, as there is practically no room to work around. I'm just gonna take it to a repair shop then. Buest to have someone do it right, than me doing it half-right.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:42 PM

beats paying for it twice.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 PM

Got my car fixed, and all by myself......wooohooooo! Bench-bled the master cylinder and then the whole system from the slave cylinder. So far so good.