Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Clicking noise coming from under the steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:42 PM
Default Clicking noise coming from under the steering wheel.

Hey guys,

There is a clicking noise coming from under the steering wheel of my 2018 Mazda 3. I'm not sure about other people's Mazda but my car has this electronic click sound everytime it travels the first 50 meters after starting and the sound disappears. The "starting" click sound has always been there since the day I picked my car up from the dealer and my previous 2014 Mazda 2 had it too.

But these past 2 days the click sound comes up during my drive and it has been driving me insane. It only clicks when the car is being driven but not when it is stationary.

Luckily I recorded the sound during my drive. Here is the sound of the said click during my drive:

Has anybody ever experienced this? If so, what was the problem? Is it a bad relay or anything else?

I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Last edited by Bcngl; 09-28-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:05 AM

My 2010 Mazda CX 7 just started making this noise exactly identical to yours. The sound is coming from under the steering wheel but the twist is, it causes my headlights to flicker and only does it between 50-20km I can get it to stop by pressing the brake pedal enough to turn on the brake lights and it stops as soon as I take my foot off the brake noise comes back if I put my foot on the gas noise goes away if I take my foot off the gas and let the car coast it will make the damn noise again ARGHH!

Old 12-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Update from my cx 7 it appears the noise in your car and mine is related to the ABS and Traction control system. Im not 100% sure but it sounds like it could be the cause When I was driving today it clicked in the same rythhm as your video described. But for some strange reason the ABS and Traction control lights came on in the dash and the clicking noise stopped... when I turned off the car and restarted it the lights went out and the noise returned. But I don't know what part of the system is causing this problem

Old 01-16-2021, 03:05 PM

Check the strut. Sounds like the spring broke. They bind and pop as you turn. The newest VW I've changed struts on broke the top coil off so it was kinda hard to see without lifting the car. You might be able to see the spring jump if you turn with the wheel on the ground.

Kodi nox

Last edited by winkybil; 01-17-2021 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

If the noise only happens once, soon after starting the car and driving off, its a good chance its the ABS module doing its self test.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If the noise only happens once, soon after starting the car and driving off, its a good chance its the ABS module doing its self test.
Sometimes it happened when the car is driving. When I put it in neutral the sound goes away, when I shift the car to Drive and I push the throttle the noise starts clicking again.

Isn't ABS module located in the engine bay?

Old 09-26-2021, 10:15 PM

I looked at them and didn't see anything wrong with them I will check again, do they also make noise going in a strait line though?

Old 09-26-2021, 10:17 PM

yes it is in the engine bay it looks like block of metal with metal hoses coming out of it.