Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Care of 2010 Mazda3 Interior/Exterior

Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Question Care of 2010 Mazda3 Interior/Exterior

I purchased a used black 2010 Mazda3. I have searched forums looking for recommendations on the care of the exterior and interior and frankly, it is pretty confusing. Welcome any recommendations:

1. Should the car be washed and waxed regularly? How often should it be waxed? What type of wax should be used? What about the clear coat protectants that car washes offer that are discharged in the wash?

2. Some pieces of the interior dash are not smooth. What is the best protectant to use? Should a different type be used for those areas of the interior dash that are not smooth? I've seen recommendations for :
303 Aerospace Protectant
1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner
Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner
Optimum Leather Protectant
Vinylex

Thank you to all who respond!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM

It really depends on what you want.

If you want to impress, go ahead spend money and time. Go all out with the claybar and such.
Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing

If you try to improve resale value you are probably not cost effective.

If you just want a clean car now and then wash it with a hose, and car shampoo. Wax it once or twice a year.
interior: vacuum. Use a moist rag on plastic surfaces. Use soapy water (dishdrops) on contact areas like the door grips, steering wheel, shifter.
When you clean the interior window cover the dasboard before spraying the glass cleaner on the windshield.
Use nothing but a damp cloth and the lightest touch on the clear plastic on the instrument cluster. It scratches just from looking at it!

Consider prevention: the things you don't touch don't get dirty. I never touch the windshield with my hands, I don't have junk on my dashboard, I don't get stuff on the headliner.

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-23-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
It really depends on what you want.

If you want to impress, go ahead spend money and time. Go all out with the claybar and such.
Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing

If you try to improve resale value you are probably not cost effective.

If you just want a clean car now and then wash it with a hose, and car shampoo. Wax it once or twice a year.
interior: vacuum. Use a moist rag on plastic surfaces. Use soapy water (dishdrops) on contact areas like the door grips, steering wheel, shifter.
When you clean the interior window cover the dasboard before spraying the glass cleaner on the windshield.
Use nothing but a damp cloth and the lightest touch on the clear plastic on the instrument cluster. It scratches just from looking at it!

Consider prevention: the things you don't touch don't get dirty. I never touch the windshield with my hands, I don't have junk on my dashboard, I don't get stuff on the headliner.
Thank you. I want to take good care of it so that it does retain its resale value, but I can't spend the time or cost and go overboard either. I want to make sure I don't use anything on it that will damage the interior and as it is a black vehicle, I want to try to prevent the dash from fading and cracking. I don't know if that is an issue with the Mazda3 or not.

Does this mean that the Mazda3 dash is ok without protectant? I've read to avoid amourall like the plague, but I don't use any of the other products to know which would be better and was hoping someone who had the 2010 had some experience with other products on it by now (if they are even necessary). After a couple of years, someone out there should know a product that protects but doesn't damage the dash of the Mazda3 over time.

When it comes to waxing, is a paste or turtle wax ok every couple of months?

Last edited by holzert; 06-24-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM

I don't have a '3' so I am not sure of the plastics properties. Cracked dashboards were really common in the 70's and 80's. Much less so now. My '98 protege looks fine, my wife's 2000 Contour is not cracked but the glue seems to loose its grip at the edge, my 03 Windstar's plastic is flawless.
It seems to me that the chemists improved the formulas of the plastics. The best thing you can do is protecting the car from the sun when you park it. A blanket over the dash will go a long ways.
I have used Nu Finish car wax once or twice a year, before Winter and after Winter.
The more you wash and wax, the more scratches you will make.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 AM

hi, I have recently bought a 2010 Mazda 3, gunmetal blue, because I fell in love with this little car...I have tinting on all windows but front windshield...would a simple sunshade work. Every car I ever owned was simply transportation, this is the 1st car I ever bought just for the joy of it. So I have the same questions about interior care, car interior seems to mainly be cloth on seats and plastic on dashboard. I heard the same thing about armorall, but there is a new wax spray wax for the outside? what do you think?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM

As far as the interior is concerned it is more important what you don't do than what you do to it. No eating, drinking (except water), smoking, pets etc.

I have not used the new spray on wax, therefore I have no opinion.