Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

To anyone who owns a 2010 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Default Sorry, long post

Wow new to the forum, and recently purchased a 2011 Mazda3 s Sport 5 door (for the wife) and can't get over the chip on the shoulder some of the previous gen. Mazda3 owners have (well mostly Bob, no offense), never seen quite so much hatred in a forum, between generations, I would suggest they separate the rooms to first gen., second gen. We are still all Mazda owners right?

Just some background, and perspective from someone else. I'd classify myself as a german car enthusiast more than anything, and spend much of my time on those forums (mainly Audi and Mini, as those have been my main cars over the last 8 years). Joined here just to be able to check on info for the wife's car , and see whats available, cause I will still be driving it a lot, and was a huge part in the decision to get it. And I love to work on my cars (thats why I buy German, lol)

This is going to be all from a design perspective, not performance. So my last Japanese car was a one of the ugliest cars ever made, a 2003 Subaru WRX (bug eyed version) 5 door. At that time the most similar car in body design on the road was the 5 door Mazda Protege (there weren't many 5 doors out then). Which to me on the other hand was one of the best looking compacts ever designed, just a phenomenal leap in exterior design that I think influenced/pushed a number of other car co. to improve their design. It looked like nothing else on the road, and no where near it's price. I was completely in love with it, and quite honestly considering it for my next car (to replace the WRX).

So when the first gen Mazda3 came out as was completely disappointed, in many aspects, while ok looking, it was a complete regression from the Protege, it did not build on the design, and to me at least looked very much cheaper than the Protoge, and much closer to the Civics, Matrixes, Imprezas, and Fits. I was thoroughly unimpressed, and despite numerous great reviews on performance, always ruled out the car, cause to me it just looked cheap, and was not the protege I grew to love to look at.

On to the second Gen, Mazda3, I have to admit I did not take note when it was released in the press, but I did when I saw it on the street, a few times. I loved the redesign on the Mazda6, and had mistaken it numerous times from the front as one, but this was simply as an ooh whats that perspective, I did not expect to need another new car any time soon. So when it came up that we needed to replace my wifes car (a 2004 Audi allroad) that was taken out by a flood, I was completely open, and we began shopping, and reading all reviews. I wanted something that was under $23k, reliable, had to be 5 door, and most importantly for me fun to drive. I was surprised that most of the cars in that range either were awful from a performance perspective (Focus, Matrix, Fit), looked horribly cheap (Impreza), or completely over priced themselves (Golf/GTI, and the Focus again). We were actually planning on getting a Nissan Juke (which was so ugly, but a nice deal, and handled very well) when I went to take a look at the new Mazda3, (because we kept noticing the few around at how nice they looked) and found out it was a huge step for the compact class IMHO, while certainly not perfect, I think it looks amazing (especially in Velocity Red, or Celestial Blue), and way better than anything below $23K. A huge step in design over the previous gen. that looks much much better IMHO, and like a much newer and more expensive car. I loved the way it drove, the interior was phenomenal, and both me and my wife fell in love with the looks.

Now opinions on looks are very subjective, and cant be substantiated really. I know plenty of owners who loved the WRX bug eye, and who love the Juke (vomit). And I'm not trying to offend anyone, but there is no one more skewed than the owner of the previous gen. of a car when judging the new gen. they know they are old news and have been replaced, so they tend to be a bit bitter, like when the new baby comes to the house. So I take it with a grain of salt.

Now FWIW, All I can say is that the looks of the new Mazda3 is what drew me to even consider it (the performance, and interior is what made me get it), and that just didn't happen with the previous gen. which actually drove me away and made me forget about the beautiful Protege.

Last edited by Judgegavel; 06-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mike0122
The reason my 2011 MS3 is smiling is because it knows It looks better than the 1st gen.... Hah J/k. For real why all the hating? I like both. If I would of had a choice of buying a brand new 1st gen or 2nd gen it would of been a tough choice, but seeing as I wanted a new one I had no choice. I love the way it looks and I am very happy with my purchase..
I love my 2nd gen car and wouldn't trade it for anything (well anything in the same class lol) .

I can't believe people focus sooo much on the front bumper. Which By the way works great for getting nice cool air to my CAI and transmission cooler. I understand everyone has their opinion but let go of the hatred lol

Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

... Mazda3 owners have never seen quite so much hatred in a forum, between generations, I would suggest they separate the rooms to first gen, second gen. We are still all Mazda owners right?

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what my other Mazda forum did. There was so much hatred of the 2nd gens that flame-wars were erupting everywhere, and they were making it personal.
This thread is expressing opinion more than saying "Your car sucks 'cause it doesn't look like mine, or what it SHOULD look like." Those were the kinds of comments made over there.

The change in design and style from the Protégé's to the Mazda3 was an evolution, IMO. The new design (2010+) is a departure and that's what has many up in arms. Most people would rather see evolution. It make it easier to get used to when the new model has similarity to what came before.

Also, I think as we are now in the 2 model yr of the new, 2nd gen 3 series, the controversy is settling down a bit.

And while I like the Protégé's, especially the Pro5's, they now look dated to my eye.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1
And while I like the Protégé's, especially the Pro5's, they now look dated to my eye.
[/COLOR]
Well everything will look dated over time (aside from a Dodge Dakota apparently, ROTFL), that doesn't mean it was any less beautiful at the time, very few car designs have really stood the test of time. I agree with others that the previous gen. 3 looks a bit dated as well, however this is more a result of the direction all autos are taking at this time, we've see a huge progression where almost every car is now coming with Xenons (or at least projection halogens that look like xenons) and LED (or LED like) tail lights, to me this is making a huge difference in looks across the board, where cars like the new Jetta and Golf, were once leaders are falling behind, and makers like Hyundai and even Kia, are taking huge leaps, and winning over new customers. I think there has definitely been a major turning point in car design over the last three years, especially in the compact, and sub-compact classes, where your getting pushes from Mini, Fiat, SMART, and others, that are putting careful thought into body design, instead of just putting out a cheap car. Almost everything that was designed last decade, looks old. In my opinion the new 3, caught the wave of progression, and looks great (similar to the new Sonata, Elantra, and Even the Focus and Fiesta, although I would still never buy a Hyundai).

Last edited by Judgegavel; 06-05-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sandals
I think my 2010 3 looks great! Design features to check out, once you get past the happy face...

Cat's eyes taillights.

Twin ridgelines along the side - one above the doorhandle line, and one near the ground. Both angled forward, making the car look like it's moving even when standing still.

In the front, the upper ridge flows around the top of the grill - in the rear, the lower flows around the bumper.

Fog light area in front of the front wheels - flared out and forward to look like a GT racecar.

If you don't like the face, get the bra and it's covered. Done.

Your last gen 3 is looking like the 6 year old design that it is. Quit whining about a missing harness clip and get with the times.

Agreed, besides.....I've driven both ALOT and the Gen2 is a much more refined and better vehicle. This is especially true with the speed3 - I appreciate the haters, perhaps they just cannot afford to drive the NEW body style

Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by SPEED3EATSV8
Agreed, besides.....I've driven both ALOT and the Gen2 is a much more refined and better vehicle. This is especially true with the speed3 - I appreciate the haters, perhaps they just cannot afford to drive the NEW body style

yeah cause that what it all about right....

personaly i dont really like the new 3's but i dont "hate" them and since i bought my first gen 2006 3 in 2011 i test drove a new one and a old one and MONEY WASNT AN ISSUE IN MY CHOISE i just fell in love with the look feel and preformance of then first gen

i feel like i got more for my money with my 06 than i would of with a 10

and yeah i have seen alot of girls driving the 3i but i like pulling up to a hot chick in the same (looking) car as mine and blowing bast them at the next redlight and car flirting for the next few miles... lol

but im also only 20 and what i look for in a car is different than what a 40 year old with a family is looking for so really to each his own i guess but i would still choise my 3 over a new one any day (like i did when i bought it)

oh and p.s. this is a pretty old thread and the "hate" has calmed some over the last year or so