Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

To anyone who owns a 2010 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Yesterday I took my 3 to the dealer for an oil and filter change.
I had some time to kill so I walked into the showrtoom to see what they had on display.
There was a 2010 speed 3 in bright blue on the floor.
This was the second time I have seen a 2010.
Any way, as I said in other post, I think the inside is great but that ugly exterior is beyond description.
Well, at least I thought it was.
The salesman walked over to me and asked if I were interested in a purchase.
I told him mine was in the service area, and I was just browsing.
He asked what I thought of the speed 3.
I sumed it up in one incredibly flippant remark, but truthful.
I stated, it looks like someone took the car to a gas station and connected the tire air hose to the body and forgot to shut it off.
It looks like a very bloated version of my 2006.
He obviously knew I wasn't interested and walked away.
If you look at the car straight on from the side, that cheap plastic grill looks like a fish mouth that is just about to open to take in some food.
I hate to say it, but if this is the best that Mazda can do, the future of the 3 is very dim.
Keeping this current look, my guess is that the 2011 model will be the last 3 unless they change the style.
Bob.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
VB

Dstylez: Selling a lot of a model doesn't make it a good design, if you ask me...just a popular one. E.G. the new Corolla. It looks like they fed the old one HGH.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM

You could sell the same amount of vehicles, but it not mean anything.
It could simply mean that a different genre of people purchased the car.

Alot of people with the 1st gen. 3 were looking for the sporty side of it, but also considering the MPG, and price.

The new 3 could attract alot of soccer moms, college kids dipping into mommy and daddys pocket, or the elderly.
Thats alot of who I think will purchase this vehicle.

I have 4.5 more years to pay on my '08, I will drive it till it dies unless they change the 3 again, for the better, not worse.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by VB
Dstylez: Selling a lot of a model doesn't make it a good design, if you ask me...just a popular one. E.G. the new Corolla. It looks like they fed the old one HGH.
Very true, but in an economic sense, successful. I've read a good deal on this site already and I have found maybe 2 members who like the '10 3. I'm not into the speed3, but the Mazda 3 4 doors are very sharp in person. Not sure why there's so much hate against them. I mean I can undestand a dislike, but to hate that car is a bit much.

Again to each his own and only time will tell if the design will grow on people. This car + a drop and some decent rims/thick tires will look pretty stout.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Exclamation

I joined this forum to reply to this thread--I was so mad. Lol.

I was going to buy an end of year 2009 MS3. Like you all I thought the 2010's were ugly. It seems they did get carried away with the "flair" compared to the previous design. But, after owning an 08.5 MS3 and driving the 09 MS3, and then driving the 10 MS3, the 10 is by far the quietest-which is important to me (maybe not the rest of the world's 20-somethings, but to a 35 yr old that prefers quiet, yes). Also, the torque steer is not dangerous anymore, and the car ignores the laws of physics when handling!

Anyhow, right then and there I decided the 09 was not for me due to the quieter interior of the 10, the bluetooth and roof rack option closed the deal. Plus, I made a deal to install the cross bars for free and out the door I got the car for 22.3K (not including TTL) w/ roof bars --which makes it look pretty sick. Now, after driving it a while, I really like the front, and sides. Not really a fan of the back. I REALLY like the fact that I NEVER see one on the street, I've gotten many looks. This car for sure doesnt blend in like the previous---and yes I liked the stealth factor too, but.. then again, now I look at the previous design and think "wow, what a plain design." Lol, I look at a lot of the econoboxes on the road now and think the same since i'm acclimated to the "flair" now. I actually dont notice the smile anymore and love the front, and the car ALWAYS gets looks-- and I like that. By the way the velocity red pearl is the bestest sickest color. Oh, and I get about 30 mpg on the hwy, a big bonus factor-- driving granny-style of course.

Anyhow, the ugly factor reminded me of another car I loved as my baby way back when--- I had one of the first WRX's in Texas/NewMex---a 2002. Man did people think that was an "ugly" car when it came out, and that bug eye only lasted 2 years, and guess what, its now kind of cool to have one of the first ones. Anyhow, I guess I just like cars that make me stand out, rather than blend in like the masses. Its a lot of factors though...I turned down a WRX this time because of price, sound system, gas mileage, lack of fog lights (base model), lack of leather.

And, Oh, my leather-framed seats smell good! Cant get those in the previous base model. Blue tooth is cool too, its like the car is KITT in knight rider, lol, but her voice is way sexier.

So, enjoy your forum. Ciao.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 AM

Before I got my new rx8, i had a 2008 mazda 3, and let me tell you i thought it looked better then the new 2010 3 by A LOT. You can say what you want, but the 2010 3 doesn't have that many new features compared to the 2009. Plus the models up to 09 look sportier, and actually look good in all. Mazda was going for that european look with the new 2010 3, but over here people don't go for that kinda stuff. I went to amsterdam a couple months ago, and the cars there are a lot different then over here. Mazda wanted to try something new, but its biting them in the butt right now because sales have dipped with the new 3.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM

If you will get the 2010 get it in Black, I have it in black and since the "smile" is black it totally blends in and in person I can't even see it, it's odd. In pictures you can tell, especially if it's not black but in person and in black the "smile" doesn't even stand out to me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by subineer
I joined this forum to reply to this thread--I was so mad. Lol.

Anyhow, right then and there I decided the 09 was not for me due to the quieter interior of the 10, the bluetooth and roof rack option closed the deal.
Interesting you say the '10 is quiet, my experience is quite the opposite. The road noise is killing me and I think it is far noisier than my '07 was. I am blaming the tires at this point, and am actually (at 2500 miles!) going to trade the stock Yokohama Avid S34's for some Kumho's this weekend to see if that helps. I put the Kumho's on my '07 and it it drove far better but that car had Goodyears, not Yoko's.

If the tires don't solve the issue, I can't see this being a car I will keep for long despite liking the toys and gadgets it has. I don't think I could endure a long trip in it at this point.

Any other '10 owners out there (epecially GT) have any thoughts on road noise? And FWIW, I hate the smiley face. It looks stupid and was a bad move for Mazda, no wonder sales are down.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LulzRoyce
If you will get the 2010 get it in Black, I have it in black and since the "smile" is black it totally blends in and in person I can't even see it, it's odd. In pictures you can tell, especially if it's not black but in person and in black the "smile" doesn't even stand out to me.
I know that what you are saying is true as I have seen that as well. But what if you don't like black cars? Not everyone does y'know. Having to buy a black car just to hide the smiley face seems awfully limiting.
In fact given my personal preference and the hot weather where I live, black would be my very last choice.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 AM

The reason my 2011 MS3 is smiling is because it knows It looks better than the 1st gen.... Hah J/k. For real why all the hating? I like both. If I would of had a choice of buying a brand new 1st gen or 2nd gen it would of been a tough choice, but seeing as I wanted a new one I had no choice. I love the way it looks and I am very happy with my purchase..

Quick Reply: To anyone who owns a 2010 Mazda3