Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Aftermarket/Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Default Aftermarket/Warranty

New Mazdaspeed 3 owner and I'm looking at aftermarket parts and from what I understand to get the most power gains for money I should get a new downpipe, race pipe, CAI, catback exhaust (even though I'd rather keep the carat reasonable sound levels) and a front mount intercooler. All of them being TurboXS this would total around$2500. More like$1900 if i kept my stock exhaust. Question 1. I live in Pittsburghwherethere is a great deal of precipitation andsomewhat lousyweather.With respect to the CAI, is it safe to get one ofthese in this kind of climate. I've heardthat there are issues. Also,I'm trying to balance out maintaining my warranty and catching up to my friend's sti. What parts will allow me to keep the powertrain warranty. I've been told it's a matter of the dealer's opinion on whether the problem at hand was due to the aftermarket part but which will not interfere with my warranty/safest to go with?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket/Warranty

I'm at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg and have my car out here at school (35 minutes from Oakland) and I've got the Fujita F5 cold air intake. So far so good, but just to have some more insurance, I purchased an Injen Hydro Shield to give me some added protection...(to say pittsburgh has somewhat lousy weather is an understatement...except for today. it was fantastic lol) I'm not sure where the Speed3 places the filter, but the sedan's throws it right by the vents in the driver's side wheel well...

CAI's are obviously more risky than a stock intake- id say thats the riskiest mod that you've listed.

As for everything else, if you are really concerned, I'd go to mazdausa.com and get a number and talk to someone about voiding the warranty.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2582A0A0.aspx

I ordered the medium.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 PM

Why not get a non-cold air intake from HKS or Cobb. It seems the major producer of aftermarket parts for the speed3 is TurboXS and I only see a cold-air intake. Would there be a hp loss, loss of the sound of turbo and bov?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM

if i wanted a "non cold air intake" i would have just kept the stock airbox...not much of a point otherwise...short rams suffer from heatsoak unless you get a good heatshield and there is plenty of air rushing into the engine compartment - so its pretty much just a waste of money alltogether - im pretty sure u'd wind up selling the SRI and getting a CAI sooner rather than later. the cold air intake gave me 35 mpg runnin on regular on the highway out of my 2.3 liter...i was happy about that. + the performance is just plain better. if getting the most hp and tq out of your car is what you're trying to do...the CAI would be the way to go.

im not sure whats available in the mazdaspeed3 scene as far as CAI's go, but no, i doubt it would make you lose the sound of the turbo...you'd probably hear it more id think...it makes my 2.3 liter sound pretty sick when i stomp on it.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A2645950.aspx

^another CAI option...good luck.