Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Adding sat nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:54 AM

With the discussion of the benefits of Garmin versus the Mazda GPS system, I used both for a 500-mile trip this weekend to just outside of New York City. There are no direct routes from here to there so the two GPS systems had numerous options to consider. There was no clear winner. Both systems had benefits and drawbacks. If there was a third option, the Garmin and the Mazda system had faults that could have declared them the looser. (My Garmin is same model they currently sell)

The Garmin system provided much more feedback. Continuously updated traffic telling me of bottlenecks and proposing alternate routes. The Garmin system was often extremely accurate in identifying the unexpected delays.

The Mazda system was easier to interact with (for all functions except entering a destination by address while moving).

The Garmin system was easier to see directly in the line of sight while the Mazda system did not obstruct my view and was easier to see by the passengers.

The Garmin voice was far more annoying and clearly computer generated. The Mazda voice was more pleasant.

The Garmin system proposed route home that included driving due south around Philladelphia, and well into Maryland only to head back up into Pennsylvania. At that point, the Mazda system provided me what I was looking for, a fairly direct route that was 30 minutes and 60 miles quicker.

At one point the two agreed for 50 miles where the Mazda system recommended continuing on the highway for another 40 miles. Garmin recommended turning off and taking smaller roads to save 20 minutes. Immediately after committing to the Garmin route, it found 40 minutes of traffic delays. The Mazda system proposed a better alternative at that point that were quicker than the Mazda route from a few minutes before.

A huge problem I had with the Mazda system was when I dropped off my daughter and needed to tell the system how to get back to that exact location. I quickly found the way to add the exact spot in the Garmin system but struggled to find how to do the same in the Mazda system. I eventually searched for anything that was near and set that as a destination putting it in history to be selected later. I assume that there is a better way, but when you drop off your daughter and you want to pick her up again, you should not have to get out the manual to figure out how to do it.

I strongly recommend that anyone who tries this test, turn off one of the GPSs in New York City. We entered specific stops in only one of the GPS systems and the conflicting “Turn Right – Turn Left” and worse yet “Turn Left in 100 Feet and Turn Left in 1000 Feet” was as stressful as you can imagine in New York Traffic.

In the end, the winner, for my money was the Mazda system with a C- yet still passing grade.

Last edited by mazdaCPA; 09-10-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:34 AM

I'm flying to Florida in November and renting a car. Any advice on how to take my $1000+ Mazda GPS unit with me?

Crickets.

OK, I'll take my cheap Garmin.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by nhtrib
I'm flying to Florida in November and renting a car. Any advice on how to take my $1000+ Mazda GPS unit with me?

Crickets.

OK, I'll take my cheap Garmin.
ill just use my phone.