Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

If I Eject my Sat-Nav DVD, Will All the Memory Points be Deleted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Default If I Eject my Sat-Nav DVD, Will All the Memory Points be Deleted?

As the title asks - I was about to eject the DVD from my pop-up Sat-Nav's drive yesterday, to check the disk version number, and then I had a nagging feeling that all my stored memory points and previous destinations might be wiped out of the memory, and I don't want to lose 3 years worth of data.

Has anyone tried this? And if so, what was the outcome?
Thanks.

Dave.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 AM

As the DVD is not a rewritable DVD (as in anything you do is not stored on the DVD) I would think that the memory of your added POI's, tracks, cameras, setting etc are stored in your units RAM itself and would only be lost after extended power disconnection, if at all. I don't have the NAV version, but this is my 'pennies worth'. Have you had the TMC work in the UK yet? Or are there still differculties arising from how you pay and get the UK TMC license to your Nav unit.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM

I appreciate that the data must be stored in some form of non-volatile memory, I was just wondering if pressing the "eject" button is likely to also send a "delete all" command!

Regarding the TMC, I can only say that all the menus are greyed out. Having paid fifteen hundred quid for the nav option, I sort of expected it to work!

Dave

Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 AM

Have you had the TMC work in the UK yet? Or are there still differculties arising from how you pay and get the UK TMC license to your Nav unit.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM

If I Eject my Sat-Nav DVD, Will All the Memory Points be Deleted?

i got the UK 2008 nav model, i eject my dvd map disc the other time, and all my memory points are still there. hope it is the same with 06 model

Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM

I have ejected my disc and all the poi points etc have remained on the nav unit. In relation to the questions about the tmc function i have posetd previous threads for this and the bottom line is regardless of what model ie year etc you have. Mazda have never signed the licence agreement with the company (itis holdings) that operate the facility. My understanding is even if you bought the up do date nav discs which cost a fortune the software in the cars is not able to de-code the information. I have posted this thread on the US mazda forum and also Mazda 24/7 forums with no help in the matter. The reason i say this i have looked at the sat nav unit and have found electrical connecting plugs attached to the looms. I suspect that the RDS information comes via the raido antenna and then goes into the sat nav system, could it be that simple to connect these connections? I will do a little more digging, unless i am barking up the wrong tree and somebody can tell me otherwise.